Steering issue

dialed_in09

Recruit
Hello,
I am having a steering problem and I would like some trouble shooting to find out what I need to do and if it is possible for myself to fix it or if I will have to take it to a mechanic.

Here is the problem. I have had the boat in storage for about 2 weeks and the steering was sticky when I put it in storage to begin with but when I pulled the boat out of storage and tried to turn the motor but it was seized. So I used a rubber mallet and tapped the steering arm and the motor started moving again. So I thought it needed to be greased so I greased it and it worked that day but the next time I took the boat out the steering was seized again. I traced the steering cable and there was a split in the housing for the cable. So I had my buddy turn the wheel and rust came out of the housing could this be my problem? Is the cable sticking in the housing making it impossible to turn?

Larry Tate

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Steering issue

sounds like you got it right. if you disconnect the steering rod from the engine (not difficult depending on your motor) and the wheel still dosent want to turn, it is most likely the cable itself. i would spray a lot of penetrating oil into the hole you found and see if that maybe makes it a bit easier to turn. if it does, then u know thats most likely the cause of the problem and the cable is going to need replacing.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Steering issue

Ayuh,... It sure sounds like ya need a New steering cable....

What motor, or drive are We talkin' 'bout anyways,..??