New Member and Uniflite Project

SEAKDave

Cadet
Hello all, Wanted to say hello and introduce myself and my project.

I recently purchased a 1973 23' Uniflite Sport Fisherman hardtop. Its a single 318 with a Paragon V-Drive.

There was some major rot in the aft bulkhead so all that has been removed in the process, the entire interior was gutted as the water damage had traveled throughout.
The plan is right now to replace the bulkhead with 3/4" marine grade ply wrapped in fibergalss and all that business (doing the door in Cherry). The interior will get the same treatment minus the glass work, I've included some pictures to
show the current progress.

I've got some great friends helping with this project and have moved into my buddy Dan's storage room, I can't thank he and his wife enough for the heated storage and non-stop help!

My fiberglass expert is Pat and he has been a non-stop digest of knowledge in West Systems..any errors in fiberglass/epoxy work is completely mine and not his as I get a head of my trackline every now and then.

I do have a few questions, any one know what the paint code is for the uniflite white and dark blue??

Port Bow.jpgPort Aft.jpgYike part II.jpgYikes....jpg

I look forward to input and advice!!

Cheers

SEAKDave

Cadet
Re: New Member and Uniflite Project

A few more pictures

Attachments

• After.jpg
    After.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Bow On.jpg
    Bow On.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Demo sink area.jpg
    Demo sink area.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Portside rot.jpg
    Portside rot.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi....welcome to iboats....

nice rig.....

looks like the forum can help.

there is no paint code for your boat......cause its not paint !.....its gellcoat.....pigmented polyester resin.
the color is as individual as the manufacturer.

usually a quick rubbing compound and a buff and they look like new

SEAKDave

Cadet

Ahh thanks and good point, but...sadly the gel coat was covered years ago by some oil based paint and they covered it all :( going to have to go with a two part poly (least thats the thought right now) over the entire boat once the prep work is done. I've gel coated small spots before and wouldn't even want to try to do an entire hull..

oops!

Supreme Mariner

is the paint flaking......?

not the stuff on the bottom....thats bottom paint....it will flake....but the stuff on the side of the hull

SEAKDave

Cadet

Bottom paint is new as off last year so all good there.

The paint on the cabin top/house/gunwales is just chaulk now as its so old. it is flaking in a few spots (best I can tell from some old records I found it had been painted back in 90). I had to fill about 800 old holes from where there had been snaps from old canvas. I drilled them out just a little bigger and then wetted the holes with some epoxy, made up some epoxy and 410 silica to fill all them up...just don't think there will be any other choice but to sand her all down and paint but, I am open to suggestions.

As for the hull, they painted that years ago as well and it is chipping off in large chunks just below that beautiful GREEN rubrail (which also needs to be replaced due to rot). As i was chipping it off to investigate I can see the old blue gel coat and would love to get back to that same color.

I also remember hearing that the Uniflite White had a touch of blue in it so it was impossible for people to match any gel or paint when needed, was hoping someone might have the magic formula...

I'm a ways off from painting so look forward to suggestions, if there was anyway I could save the gelcoat I would but just dont think its an option.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yep....you can.......use a chemical stripper on the paint......it wont touch the gell coat......gell is a really great product.......what ever the chemicals wont touch....sand.

the old robins egg blue is under there.

as far as marching the white gellcoat.......matching white is not too tough......you just need to really look at the gellcoat.

sand an area of the gellcoat with 600 wet.......remove the oxidation.....and then buff......thats the color......
really look at it......does it have tan in it ?....blue? grey?.....just add that pigment in the white.

SEAKDave

Cadet

Well thats awesome news! I will try that when I get closer! Thanks so much for the information!

810brewer

Recruit

I'm going to follow this, Dave. Can't wait to go after some 'butts and salmon next summer!

ND

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Another glasser want to follow,....

Looking forward to watching this,.........

SEAKDave

Cadet
More Pics!

More Pics!

Ask and you shall receive

Attachments

• Dinette done.jpg
    Dinette done.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Dinette part two.jpg
    Dinette part two.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Fiberglass mat applied.jpg
    Fiberglass mat applied.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Filling holes in hull.jpg
    Filling holes in hull.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Looking Forward.jpg
    Looking Forward.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0

SEAKDave

Cadet
Re: More Pics!

A few more

Attachments

• Fitting in.jpg
    Fitting in.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0
  • New Fuel fill line.jpg
    New Fuel fill line.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Nice Fillet Dan.jpg
    Nice Fillet Dan.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Not Bad Looking.jpg
    Not Bad Looking.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0
  • Sink and counter fit in.jpg
    Sink and counter fit in.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0

SEAKDave

Cadet

Paragon V-drive off for re-build, lets hope it comes back in the next month so I can get the old girl on the water for some spring king salmon!

Attachments

• V-drive off to Washington.jpg
    V-drive off to Washington.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Making quick work! Love it... one day maybe one day ill tackle a fiberglass hull :eek:... but im all tinny for now :D Great Progress! Keep it up!!!