2000 Envinrude Ficht 225 Code 35, 50+ times, replaced multiple things, still issue!?!

gt6974a

Cadet
Well, after replacing the oil bulb, oil filter, oil pressure switch, trimmed oil line connections, replace fuel bulb. I'm still getting a 'no oil' light. Finally, got the software and cable hooked up and popped the code, 35, No Oil Pressure. In the EMM memory saying it's gone off like 50+ times, which is about right.

Ran out today for about 45 minutes straight, high speed, no wake zones, etc. No issue. stopped, idled around for a while and then left, bam, no oil light and alarm. When I hit the oil bulb the alarm goes away and light stays on. The engine is getting oil as I've used about 1/2 tank of oil in the last 2 months, just filled it back up today.

Got back to the slip and ran for 30 minutes on idle with no alarm/light. Turned off, ran for another 10, no issue. Went inside to watch a football game for 3 hours, came back out to move back to another slip and in reverse, right out the slip, at idle, 'no oil light' / alarm goes off before I can put it in 'forward'.

Turned off, pumped the bulb, idled for about 5 minutes over to my slip without issue.

And advice on where to go from here?

Thx

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 2000 Envinrude Ficht 225 Code 35, 50+ times, replaced multiple things, still issu

Check connections into the EMM. Most likely a signal failure due to connection/bad contact/corrosion on the oil switch circuit.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2000 Envinrude Ficht 225 Code 35, 50+ times, replaced multiple things, still issu

i had something similar with my 2000 ficht ram 150. i had a slight oil leak on the supply line - at the connection point where the hoses go inside the engine cowling. after fixing the leak, cleaning and spraying all related sensor switches the problem was gone. make sure there is not even a slight leak !

and one more thing i got from evinrude germany : shake the oil tank. sometimes the oil level sensor is stuck and the EMM may go crazy when gets false inputs- for this a firm shaking of the tank.

gt6974a

Cadet

I don't think it's the oil level sensor b/c I got it to go off this weekend by tilting the oil tank.

How did you find the leak? I checked the line and it looks good, any easy way to find a leak? 99% of the time this happens at very low speed, no wake speed, and sometimes at idle. Usually not when I'm moving fast.

As for the connection to the switch, I clean it up when I replaced the switch, maybe I should try again. At the EMM, according to the evinrude book, it looks like it goes into one of the big multi pin connectors. Checked all wires on that and none of them loose. Manual says Tan / White and I checked that one and the solid Tan line. Both tight.

aerobat

i am not sure if the ficht 225 is here the same like the ficht 150 but : when you remove the intake silencer you see all the oil lines which go into the engine. inside the engine there are for the oil supply, oil return and fuel supply lines metal housings which do a 90 deg turn . the lines are connected to this metal housings coming from the boat and again connected going further to the oil or fuel pump . here i had a leak- saw some oil droplets on the oil supply line. i tightened the connection, primed the oil bulb and made sure there is not even a slight leaking anymore. beyond this is like said cleaned and sprayed all connections.

then the problem was gone- some weeks ago i did a trip over channels with speed limit mostly trolling. the engine worked for about 10 hours at trolling without any issue.

ckeck the connections especially in the area where the oil lines enter the cowling.

gt6974a

Cadet

Think mine are a direct connect from the oil supply but I'll definitely check that out, thx

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

A failing oil pressure regulator can cause this as will a weak oil pump. The warning pressure switch is working as its not seeing enough pressure and trips EMM. Pumping bulb add pressure.

gt6974a

Cadet

It got cold out and I never addressed the issue. Boat's back in the water and first few times out, same issues, every now and then. This past weekend though, alarm is now going off pretty regularly and now the oil bulb is flat, before it stayed hard.

One mechanic said it's probably the pump as the oil pressure regulator handles pressure on the injector not the pump where the sensor is located. He said if it fails, oil just flows freely but wouldn't affect the bulb and pressure out of the oil tank.

Anyway, I'm going to go pick a oil pressure test gauge, it looks like I just need to unscrew the oil pressure switch and put the gauge in there and look for 6-20psi, as the switch closes at 3-5psi. I've read about pinching the oil return line (before or after?) the regulator and making sure the pressure goes up. I saw one post where one guy was getting around 22psi and he though it was okay but then he switched it out with another pump and was getting 60psi when pinching the return. Any advise on these number and what I should be looking for?

For testing the oil pump regulator, can I get a hand pump and apply 6-20psi and see if the switch opens to confirm its operation or is this just something you swap out. If it's failing, I'm assuming when I take it off it will already be open?

gt6974a

Cadet

It got cold out and I never addressed the issue. Boat's back in the water and first few times out, same issues, every now and then. This past weekend though, alarm is now going off pretty regularly and now the oil bulb is flat, before it stayed hard.

One mechanic said it's probably the pump as the oil pressure regulator handles pressure on the injector not the pump where the sensor is located. He said if it fails, oil just flows freely but wouldn't affect the bulb and pressure out of the oil tank.

Anyway, I'm going to go pick a oil pressure test gauge, it looks like I just need to unscrew the oil pressure switch and put the gauge in there and look for 6-20psi, as the switch closes at 3-5psi. I've read about pinching the oil return line (before or after?) the regulator and making sure the pressure goes up. I saw one post where one guy was getting around 22psi and he though it was okay but then he switched it out with another pump and was getting 60psi when pinching the return. Any advise on these number and what I should be looking for?

For testing the oil pump regulator, can I get a hand pump and apply 6-20psi and see if the switch opens to confirm its operation or is this just something you swap out. If it's failing, I'm assuming when I take it off it will already be open?

Also, would this work for testing the oil pressure at the switch, it's 140psi but was looking for 30psi gauge.?

http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-oil-pressure-test-kit-98949.html

Haffiman

Commander

What does the oil look like in your tank? From time to time, empty the tank, clean out the pick-up filter and fill with new oil. The 'flat' bulb might indicate a suction problem like a clogged filter.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Or an oil tank that is not vented properly.

gt6974a

Cadet

Using the XD oil, replaced the sock filter last August I believe, as well as replaced the bulb.

I have an OMC oil cap, with the vent hole. It did have a cap on the vent hole but I lost that, just figured it was to keep dust from getting in.

Haffiman

Commander

Which of the XD oils are you using: XD 30, XD 50, XD 100. Min XD 50 must be used!! Did you check for 'sludge' at the bottom of the tank when changing filter/sock??

aerobat

ahoi !

remove the oil return line at the oil tank and start the engine. plenty of oil must splash immediately out of this line. if not - after verifying the supply and return line as well the pickup at the tank are not blocked and a fuse is not blown- go for a new oilpump .

cheers !

aerobat

ahoi !

remove the oil return line at the oil tank and start the engine. plenty of oil must splash immediately out of this line. if not - after verifying the supply and return line as well the pickup at the tank are not blocked and a fuse is not blown- go for a new oilpump .

cheers !

gt6974a

Cadet

XD 50, tank was clean.

Fuse? I assume if I had a blown fuse the diagnostic software would have thrown a code for it.

aerobat

the diagnostic software throws you a code that you have no oil pressure, sorting out exactly why is up to you.

did you ckecked the return line ? it will give you a definitive answer if your pump is working at all when the bulb is flat. if not you need not to waste time for checking the oilpressure.

gt6974a

Cadet

the diagnostic software throws you a code that you have no oil pressure, sorting out exactly why is up to you.

did you ckecked the return line ? it will give you a definitive answer if your pump is working at all when the bulb is flat. if not you need not to waste time for checking the oilpressure.

Checked the return line and while oil was still coming through the oil light on the diagnostic software would blink 'oil ok' - 'oil fault'. When I closed the returned line, both before and after the pressure regulator the light would stay solid 'oil ok' and then revert back after a few.

After doing this a few times the 'oil ok' stayed on. Turned off, turned on, rev'd the engine etc. Stayed okay.

Changed the pressure regulator and everything stayed 'oil ok'. Took the boat out for a spin and I couldn't get the alarm to go off. I plan on taking it back out tomorrow and trying to get the alarm to fault again.

gt6974a

Cadet

Took the boat out last evening and ran for 40 minutes straight without issue. Different speeds/rpm, trims, etc. I plan to head out again this evening for another test run.

aerobat

spray all sensor connections with contact spray. check again all oil lines for leaks. this thread is older and i replaced you last year that i had the same strange problem. after disconnecting the return line and flushing it with engine running, spraying all sensors and removing one very slight leak on the supply line the problem until now never occoured again.

what we can say is that a bad oil pump does not repair by itself and most probably its something minor with your engine. i think you may safe the time to ckeck oil pressure.