68 18hp FASTWIN FWD GEAR

alumachris

Seaman Apprentice
The forward gear in my 1968 18hp Fastwin is worn where the clutch dog engages. Can't seem to find a compatable parts engine / gearbox around here.
Was thinking about welding a little spot where it is worn and grinding / filing down to original shape.
Do you think that would work?
Would it comprimise the temper in the metal too much?
Any suggestions are appriciated?
Getting desperate. :eek:
Shrimping season is almost over! :eek:

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 68 18hp FASTWIN FWD GEAR

It's not only the gear, but the clutch dog itself that needs replacing.

They are available new, but are pricey. Used are available, but sometimes of questionable quality.

alumachris

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks milliesdad. already reversed, then replaced the dog. the inside of the gear is worn at an identical pattern as the dog. just trying to get it solved right now.. getting a new dog is comparitively cheap / easy.
finding / repairing this gear is starting to be expensive /no fun! :(
The fish are laughing at me!! please help!!:confused:

kfa4303

Banned

hello alumachris. a new dog is approx. $100 and a new forward gear is about $90. :/ Check marineengine.com, ebay, aomci.com, or the salvage yards listed in the sticky at the top of the forum. you may be able to get a whole donor motor for less than the new parts though. that being said, the 18 hp are some of the best pound-for-pound motors ever made and worth the effort in most cases. I have a '66 20 hp (same basic motor) and it's great. very zippy, light weight and easy to work on. good luck.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Chris.Just noticed this post so I thought I might make a helpful suggestion.If you don't already own a Dremel go get yourself one,or something similar.With it you can redress the angles on the forward gear.You have to grind it away very gently bit at a time so as not to spoil the temper.Grind until no more rounded corners then undercut very slightly.With care should keep you going for years.
good Luck
Geoffwga1

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The machined angles are pretty precise, I have never personally attempted this, but find it hard to believe that it can be done without future issues of it jumping out of gear.

I personally think that the best/easiest/cheapest advice would be to purchase a parts/donor motor. Post an ad on aomci.org under the webvertize section.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree the machining is precise but that's because it is machining.The bottom line is that it is still a common or garden dog clutch much the same as those fitted to all types of winching and pulling devices and as long as the mating surfaces are ground so they are not ramped,thereby forming a kind of cam,they should work fine.I did it to my 40hp Norseman and it has been fine ever since.I should add that this problem occurs in the first place mostly by engaging the gear too slowly.These clutches are designed to be banged in,though not at high revs of course.
Geoffwga1