Evinrude 15hp 4 Stroke - Good Motor? Too Heavy?

Rmsari

Seaman
I'm looking at a 2000 15hp evinrude nice shape that I can get for about $500. Owner said it ran good before storage. I plan on checking compression and having him start up. I've seen some posts that the earlier 4 strokes had some issues and the motor is pretty heavy. Will be going on a 14ft fishing/rowboat. Any advice? Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 15hp 4 Stroke - Good Motor? Too Heavy?

I briefly had a '97 9.9 JohnnyZuki. I think it was pretty much the same as a EvinZukis of the time. . .9.9 and 15.

It weighed about 107lb and was a rope start. Ran great on my Boston Whaler Tender 11, which was rated for 10HP (tiller) or 20HP(electric).

Hope that is useful to you. :)

Haffiman

Commander

Used to have a couple of those in 9.9 version. For trolling and as a work horse, excellent. As a 'speedster' not my favorite, but that goes for any 4-stroke 2 cylinder engines, they vibrate and gets noisy at top rpm's. At idle and trolling, can't get any better.
Impeller needs a frequent change (same as the 2-stroke gear case) and there were some power pack issues.

AlTn

Commander

seems like ignition coil availabilty becomes an issue with the 4 strokes of that era...might check if that would concern you

Rmsari

Seaman

I read about power pack issues also. Looked at price $250 - yikes. I think I'm going to pass on it. I think I'm going to stick with 2 stroke for now at least.

pukindog51

Cadet

I have a 2001 electric start long shaft.
Nothing but electrical problems and when they won't go: big dollars to fix
Ignition coil is no longer available.
I've also had galvanic corrosion problems eating up my I/o and aluminum boat.
run away as fast as you can