risk of overheating?

wake devil

Recruit
Hey hello everyone... I?m new to boating and have a question, I have a 94 glastron g20 with a mercruiser 5.7 alpha 0ne .. would it affect in a bad way to my boat engine on a normal condition, If I keep the engine on for 30 minutes in the water without mooving? for example to take a break from wakeboarding and let the music on without wasting the battery.
thanxs in advance
WD

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: risk of overheating?

It won't hurt anything, but I would think you should be able to run a stereo for 30 minutes without killing your battery. Perhaps you should consider setting up a 2 battery system, one for starting, one for house power (stereo, lights, etc.)

ziggy

Admiral

well, i got a '99 van w/ a 5.7. i let it idle more than a half hour at a time. so far w/o ramification. and that's closed cooled with a radiator w/o air flow. assuming ya got raw water cooled. it's always getting fresh cool lake water.
also. ya got a temp gauge i assume. watch it. if it starts to go up. i'd think it'd be time to turn it off.
keeping your impeller in good repair would be a plus i'd think. i got the old style which i think is less durable than the genII's. mine gets replaced yearly. imho, it's the heart of the cooling system on a boat. a bum impeller is the beginning of an overheat.
also. as for your batt. unless ya got one of the boomin radios. like in lots of current draw. i wouldn't' think a half hours should kill the batt. unless it's lame and time to R&R anyways. i leave my radio of for a half hour +. but it's not a boomin radio. no amp, volume low. or ya could put in two battery's too. that way ya'd be sure your start batt. is always good for a start. the radio would feed off the aux. batt.
good luck.

wake devil

Recruit

thanx don and ziggy!!! so I guess I can now take a nap with my tunes without worrying.... and yes I?m considering on putting those 2 battery system.