1996 25hp Yamaha Compression

bayscallop

Recruit
Hi, hopefully someone out there can help. I have a 1996 25HP Yamaha pull start engine. The engine starts great, idles nice, and runs very strong. I just did a compression check on it today for the heck of it and it tested at 60 psi in both cylinders. I removed both plugs and pull the cord two or three times for each check. I even borrowed a different pressure gauge from my neighbor and it came up the same. Am I doing something wrong or can an engine run great w/ 60 psi per cylinder. I was always under the impression it should be about 115 -120. Any ideas?????

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1996 25hp Yamaha Compression

Did you open the throttle some so it could get some air to compress?
I would have expected more also.
It is also a good idea to short to ground the plug wires or pull the kill switch to eliminate the spark while turning over

robert graham

Admiral

Hi, hopefully someone out there can help. I have a 1996 25HP Yamaha pull start engine. The engine starts great, idles nice, and runs very strong. I just did a compression check on it today for the heck of it and it tested at 60 psi in both cylinders. I removed both plugs and pull the cord two or three times for each check. I even borrowed a different pressure gauge from my neighbor and it came up the same. Am I doing something wrong or can an engine run great w/ 60 psi per cylinder. I was always under the impression it should be about 115 -120. Any ideas?????
If it "starts great, idles nice and runs strong", why even worry about it?...there's apparently nothing wrong with the motor...go fishing and be happy!;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

60-60 is excellent for a pull start outboard. Any psi spec is fantasy.

Throttle position is irrelevant.

You usually need 5 or more pulls to get consistent readings.

Of course, if you are really desperate to find something wrong send it to me. I will part it out if it ever quits. :p

bayscallop

Recruit

Thank you for the input. I got in touch with a Yamaha dealer today and he said as long as compression is about the same, don't worry about a thing. He stated not all engines were desined to have that 100+ compression. Thank you again for the responses.