2003 johnson 15hp

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi all! 1st post here. i bought a 2003 johnson yesterday that wasnt peeing and was told its a easy fix. i ordered the waterpump today.

i guess i just wanted to know if there should be any other parts that i need to inspect when i tear this thing down.

ive dont this before on a old chrysler 15 with no problems but that was a american motor so this might be a different story.

its a: 2003 johnson 15 hp
model J15RST
was ran in salt water but flushed after
been siting since june (4 months + or -)

it starts on the 1st pull but just blows smoak out of the pee holes (no water at all)

thanks for any help.......

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2003 johnson 15hp

Salt water motor ,you may have a project just to get the bolts out.
Put water up the tube to the power head.Check the thermostat.Be sure the intake(s) are clear.You may want to confirm all passages are clear But I don't know if you want to tackle
removing the head and exhaust housing

boobie

Supreme Mariner

In your case an OMC Factory Service Manual would really help you. It would be good for the job at hand but also in the furture for other probs.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the bolts dont look bad, they look like they havent been touched. (still factory paint on them) motor is very clean looking outside and under the hood. thats the only reason i bought this one, everything around my area looks like crap or it'll be old as dirt.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oo and also about the OMC Manual ive found a website (( Shop.evinrude.com )) They have pdf's of my motor so i think ill be ok with that for now.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

first, salt water won't have any effect on a 2003 motor so disregard that.

Pee lines are the first thing to get gunkified (especially with a fresh water motor). check the line itself from block to outside fitting. On my motors I removed the outside fitting and just run the tube out the motor with a clamp to keep it there. I've had motors quit peeing dozens of times and it has always been the tube itself.

When you talk about "smoak out the pee holes" are you referring to the two exhaust holes on the back, top of the lower unit? Those don't send much water out in the first place in newer motors, kinda a spray. Those are not pee holes. Nonetheless you want to be sure you are circulating.

changing the waterpump is still a good idea if it hasn't been done for a couple years and with a new used motor you never know.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when i say pee holes i ment the black quarter size groment at the top of the EXHAUST HOUSING (center back) below the lower engine cover.
the second pee port that im talking about is a small rubber hose that comes threw the lover engine cover that conects to the Outer EXHAUST COVER

both are blowing out smoak and the 2nd ones line is clear i can blow threw is with my mouth and there are no restrictions

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i thing you didnt put enough deep in water.
you sholud take deep bucket, so water wil reach almost to mounting bracket.

1 week ago i got 96' 15 hp Evinrude.
i tested water circulation, but i did mistake and didnt put enogh int test tank.
so result was no water on pee hole, just smoke.
but after puting motor on my boat transom and run for few meters water just start to pee

my friend got also similiar motor , but made in 97' and he had the same situation.

but when i put my 83' 9.9 in test tank, water just abowe cavitation plate and run, few seconds after water will shot in pee hole

i thinh this lower units in post 93' motors are strange

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ive tryed it both ways with muffs/water hose and in a tank with water well over the inlet screen

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

water pump came in the mail today going to try and get it in this afternoon; if all go's well i'll post tomorrow. thanks again for the replys!!! :)

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

water pump went in with no problems!
tricks of the trade:
1 a swivel socket works best (tight spaces between the lowerunit wall and bolt head)
2 after dropping the lower unit drop the motor into reverse (this dropped the motor another 1/2 inch for my fat fingers lol)
3 when taking the old pump out make sure not to sling the small pin
4 before putting it back together blow out the holes a little or use something like a weedeater string to loosen up any left-over gunk
5 clean all the old bolts REALLY GOOD! before re-installing
6 be patient when putting the lower unit back on to make sure everything lines back up; also i found that if you bairly turn the prop it will spin the shaft to help it line up and slide right in

thanks again for all the help! boat is peeing like a horse haha