drive shaft houseing?

mitch_houser

Cadet
The shaft in the pic keeps dropping down and will not stay connected to the upper rod the control levers move like they are suppose to. The L/U is installed properly.shifter was in N controls in N prop free spins no rachiting at all.Move the control lever forward N or reverse nothing happings in the L/U .But I put my fingers on the rod that goes in from the lower houseing unit move it up then move the control lever you can hear it click in gear the prop locks like it suppose to but then you can't get it to do anything with it it will not go back to N.In the pic where the carbs use to be below them can I take that loose and pull that shaft out so I can weld or tighten the screw that hold the other shaft in place?and the black plastic piece by the rod as you see it does that part go in 1st and when you look into the houseing like your putting the lower unit on will you see the flat bottom of it?shaft 2 001.jpgshaft 003.jpgshaft 002.jpgshaft 001.jpg

FLATHEAD MAC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: drive shaft houseing?

The black plastic part is basicly a guide for the shift shaft and the lockout linkage, it holds them both in place in the bottom of mid section , to lign up with LU shift shaft and lockout cam.

with oout it LU is a pain ita to put back on , causing the lockout shaft will not stay on the cam been there n done that many attempts befor realizing that it was missing on my motor.