pedestal seat help

BOATINGmatt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i need to mount my passenger/port side helm seat on my mako 228...there was a rotted wedge of somekind under the pedestal ...the wedge seemed to level the pedestal base as the deck surface sloped to the gunnwales...it maybe went from 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch and was a square the size of the base....i cannot figure out how to make a shim of that size to level the seat base nor can i seem to find any products on line...any thoughts
thanks
matt

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: pedestal seat help

plywood and a belt sander..... wrap it in glass when you're done

EDIT
better yet mix up some epoxy with a LOT of thickener in it and put it down with a trowel

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

Ok. Temporary Repair Solution; See what you think of this; you have seen the white plastic swim platforms right? Well I have searched all over looking for a solid piece of plastic like that for various repairs, the material used on my swim platform is a very strong polyvinyl or something. Well the local RV camping store has some approx 2' square and somewhere between 5/8 and 3/4 thick, almost perfect to re-enforce the floor under a seat pedestal. I don't know for sure but it might work.

AviatorJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Level the boat, then use clay to build a dam all the way around where the seat will bolt down, and fill with fiberglass and a thin resin like rotfix. It will flow out level. Clean and scuff the deck, and if you can drill some holes or put in some screws for the resing to grip it will help. Remove the clay when it has cured. Then put in helicoils so you can remove the pedestal if you need to. Good luck