Fuel hose with primer bulb question

jeffrey9567

Cadet
If a fuel hose with primer bulb was mistakingly hooked up backwards(arrow on bulb pointing toward tank)and pumped would this screw the bulb up ? Noticed oil & gas mix leaking out one end of the bulb while hanging in my garage? 9.9 Johnson is cutting out at full throttle after a couple minute run.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fuel hose with primer bulb question

no that wouldn't hurt it BUT it still needs replaced.... it is leaking and as such allows the engine to suck air and run lean... FWIW possibly nothing in the world will kill a 2 stroke faster than running lean on the top end

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have heard that hooking them up backwards can mess up the seals in the valves at each end

americaneagler77

Petty Officer 1st Class

i just went through this, not because i ran it backwards but just leaking at the bulb, i took the hoses off the bulb, cut about 3 inches off each hose and re connected it to the bulb with clamps. this gave me a fresh seal on the bulb, sounds to me you need to do the same but maybe replace the bulb too, as long as your hose is in good shape.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

There is really nothing to screw up in one, it just has a ball stop on one end so gas doesn't back flow into the tank, as the engine tries to suck gas it will pull the ball to the stop and not get gas.

Get a new one of fix it like american did and you should be fine.