2000 Johnson 3 cylinder 70 HP Starts then quits and wont start again

Typenice

Cadet
My buddy re-powered his boat with a 2000 Johnson 3 cylinder 70 HP electric start a few months ago after his old engine blew. Too frequently when he goes to the launch it will start up and give a weak idle for a few seconds (5-15 seconds) and just quit. After that he cant get it started again. He's taken it to the shop where he bought it and had it
professionally installed to have it looked at, and they simply said it was flooded from choking it too much. they said they tried to duplicate the"no run/start" issue but couldn't. He didn't choke it to get it started the first time or the next few times. Only after a few failed attempts to get it started did he choke it some. he is getting frustrated cause its under a shop warranty still and they aren't really giving him any answers. I dont know if there is a trick to starting these engines or what. I know its sort of a vague issue and it could be a lot of things but any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Johnson 3 cylinder 70 HP Starts then quits and wont start again

If it's under a shop warranty, have him take it back to the shop and let them show him the correct starting procedure. There could be a prob that comes and goes. I wouldn't mess with it as long as he has a warranty.