crankshaft spring and retaining washer pushing up the Cam, can not install points

jason992us

Recruit
Dear

I recently started a project on working at 1956 Q17 Seahorse 10HP engine. I have encountered a problem which I have no clue on solving it. As you can see on the pictures, that crankshaft spring and retaining washer are pushing up the cam, which makes impossible for installing the points. Please help. I have tried to search on many website and forums and even study the manual, but still can not get it fixed. Did I misalign the spring or broke some parts?

Truly appreciated your generous help on this issue
spring1.jpg
spring2.jpg
spring3.jpg
spring4.jpg

Jason

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: crankshaft spring and retaining washer pushing up the Cam, can not install points

That's normal. You need a special tool to hold the cam down. You can make such a tool with a piece of plastic pipe, or whatever. The flywheel nut holds the "tool" down.

When you get everything ready to install the flywheel, have the shaft positioned so that the cam is almost ready to open one set of points. In that positon, it will slide down without destroying the points' arm.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: crankshaft spring and retaining washer pushing up the Cam, can not install points

The plactic pipe is a good idea. I used to use the old timing fixtures but nobody knows what those are these days. Well almost nobody LOL.

jason992us

Recruit

F_R & Boobie,
Truly appreciated your prompt answer. I will give it a try. I have followed the procedure from the following 2 web sites, and pictures shows on the web sites seems there is nothing hold the cam in to the proper position (downward). So I think that I might did something wrong.

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/johnson/Evinrude%20Johnson%205.5%20HP%201954-1964%20Ignition%20System%20Tune-up.htm

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/max/index12.htm

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You happen to have one of those mtrs that had a spring under the cam. Worked on quite few. Do as F_R said with the plastic pipe, a big washer and the flywheel nut to hold the cam down. Just follow his instructions and you'll be okay, especially about when installing the flywheel.