How often should you replace fuel lines?

simplystressed

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat is around 15yrs old and notice the fuel lines are permeating pretty bad. No signs of cracks but was wondering how often the hoses should be replaced on the tank and fuel feed lines?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: How often should you replace fuel lines?

My boat/motor is a 1999 and all the fuel lines look like new, never any problems at all. I do believe the factory fuel lines are very good, but if I ever noticed one cracking or splitting, I'd replace them all at that time, before they gave any trouble. Better get some new, Marine Specified replacement fuel lines now, so you won't have to worry about it. Good Luck!:)

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fuel lines that are showing deterioration on the outside are deteriorated on the inside too. Marine grade line holds up a little better than regular stuff, but to many variables. One big thing is if your premix 2 stroke, or just straight gas running through the lines. If you have any type of rubber debris in your filter or carb bowls its probably time already. Premix in the lines can swell inner linner and cause flow issues.

simplystressed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There looks to be some residue on the inside of the lines, no cracks though. Permeation is my biggest concern which seems in my case its time to replace.

Original lines (1996) are in there and are A1/A2 lines good quality. Straight gas has been going through it since the get-go I understand.

The new regulation is the A1-15 lines which don't permeate as bad and apparently resist Ethanol a bit better.

I was curious when others start noticing signs of cracking and permeation.

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 94 is stored indoors, and was only getting used 10 times a year, maybe 20 days a year. Everything was pristine on it for the first 10 years. Traded it in on a pontoon, and the new owner stored it in a old greenhouse for 1 1/2 years. Ended up getting that boat back cheap, but that short time really did gamage to everything. Fadded gel coat, brittle engine hoses, uppolstery started getting "burnt" look to it. Boat is stored indoors again, and it hasn't changed much since then. There are to many variables to every situation. I have seen fuel line in 60's boats that was in better condition then 4 or 5just year old boats.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If they are 15 years old change them, it is 2 hours and 20 bucks to not get strnaded because your gas line is breaking up inside, also they may not be cracked now but that isn't far behind and leaking gas under an outboard cowl can be really bad.

Change them from the tank to the carbs and get at least an inline filter in at the same time, that alone will save you alot of carb problems.

simplystressed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If they are 15 years old change them, it is 2 hours and 20 bucks to not get strnaded because your gas line is breaking up inside, also they may not be cracked now but that isn't far behind and leaking gas under an outboard cowl can be really bad.

Change them from the tank to the carbs and get at least an inline filter in at the same time, that alone will save you alot of carb problems.

Actually I'm talking about the tank/vent/fuel fill lines under the floor. Haven't even touched the engine ones yet!:cool:

Its around $100 to replace my lines with A1-15 feed & vent hose, and A2 Fuel Fill hose.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Actually I'm talking about the tank/vent/fuel fill lines under the floor. Haven't even touched the engine ones yet!:cool:

Its around $100 to replace my lines with A1-15 feed & vent hose, and A2 Fuel Fill hose.

When I got my boat, they said "USCG A1 and A2 whatever... 1983"

Cracked, leaking, gross. Yep, 100 bucks sounds about right. I got mine from boatersland.com and they were pretty cheap. (but iboats has them too!)

To replace them again for me would be VERY difficult and involve removing floor and foam.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

OH, that is a different deal, And I know about the hose, had to change the fill hose on my truck and the stuff was about $11 a foot.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Fuel lines are typically warranted for 3-5 years. I would put the service life on them at 10 years, less if exposed to sunlight. I've seen exposed fuel lines go bad in as little a 3 years.

The fuel hose should remain soft and flexible. As soon as either one of these trait is compromised, it?s time to change the hose. If the hose is starting to show signs of cracking, it's long past it' useful life and needs replaced ASAP

Don't forget to inspect the fill hose, its a common failure point. Out of sight, out of mind.

There are to many variables to every situation. I have seen fuel line in 60's boats that was in better condition then 4 or 5just year old boats.
Ozone and sunlight are a fuel lines worst enemy. They may look good but hoses deteriorate from the inside out. They could be dust between the liner and the cover for all you know.