85 HP Johnson seahorse won't start

ikow

Cadet
I have a 85 hp Johnson Seahorse. It is a turn key. When I try to start it won't start unless I spray fuel directly into the carb (couple of sprays)then it will shut off. I have to continue spraying for it to stay on. Then once the fuel circulates it stays on by itself. I already cleaned the carbs, and replaced one of the float needles. It is getting some fuel to the carb but I am not sure if it's enough. If anyone have any suggestions please let me know.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 85 HP Johnson seahorse won't start

you have a carb/fuel issue, most likely..but follow the instructions in my sig below.

ikow

Cadet

ok. I did a compression test and there is 120+ in each. I already replace all the plugs. I dont think there is enough fuel getting to the carbs being that i have to spray more for it to start. I am thinking it's the carbs. What do you guys think?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Fuel pump? Will it keep running if you pump the primer bulb?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Is your choke functioning properly?

ikow

Cadet

Is your choke functioning properly?

The only way it will start is if I spray fuel directly into the carb. Once it starts it will stay on by itself no problem. The fuel pump looks pretty new on there.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Does your motor have a choke or a fuel primer (powered by a solenoid)? Which ever you have is it working??? Have you checked your fuel pump too? If you have any air leaks in the system or in the gaskets it will cause the same issues too.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It would be helpful to all of us if you posted the model number of your engine. They made an 85 from 1968 through 1980 and again from 1991 through 1995.

ikow

Cadet

it has a choke on the ignition and a manual choke on the motor. they both work.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I guess that means it is a 1970s model motor with the choke butterflies...make sure they are BOTH closing ALL the way when the choke is applied. I will assume that the motor runs out fine after you get it cranked, not just idling but under power. so then that is about the only problem you could have..

ikow

Cadet

the mocel # is 85eL77s it is a 1977.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

May be time to consider some carb overhauls. If the choke butterflys are closing fully and the engine still won't start/run, it is possible that the carb is gummed up. Not unusual if the engine was not run for a long period of time. Fuel can dry up inside the carb passages, causing running issues. You can't dissolve the dried fuel without completely disassembling the carbs and cleaning them with a gas solvent, like a Gumout type product.