winterizing '78 9.9

GlasV162

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,

I'm winterizing my 9.9 Evinrude; does anyone know how to access the carburetor so I can drain the fuel from it?
Thanks
John

dcreek

Cadet
Re: winterizing '78 9.9

Only way I know is remove the carb. Do you really want to? I'd say no, put staybil in your gas and rerun the engine till you know its in the carb. then run it out fuel while spraying engine store in the carb. Side note, engine can continue to run just on the engine store, so I usually choke it to kill the engine.

GlasV162

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd rather not remove the carb, but I thought there might be a screw on the bottom of the bowl to drain the fuel. The problem is getting to it and I was wondering how to do that. I've fogged the engine while running with stabil-treated gas; sounds like there's no easy way to drain the carb. Thanks,
John

jasper60103

Commander

I'd rather not remove the carb, but I thought there might be a screw on the bottom of the bowl to drain the fuel. The problem is getting to it and I was wondering how to do that. I've fogged the engine while running with stabil-treated gas; sounds like there's no easy way to drain the carb. Thanks,
John

This video shows how to reach the carb...

http://www.youtube.com/user/cpgixxer#p/u/40/IKVckfUYTEM

dcreek

Cadet

Your right, no easy way. carb. does need to be removed. That you did is the proper way to winterize. You'll have no trouble starting it in the spring, maybe a few extra pulls cause it sat for awhile. Remember when the small amount of gas in the carb. evaporates oil will be left behind.