Leave water in or drain?

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer
Hi people;

My boat will be stored in a heatted shop all winter. I'm wondering if I should drain the water out or leaave it in. Which way promotes more rust? I will be changing exhaust flappers or at least inspecting them because I think I hear one flopping around in the pipe, but most likely not for a few months. I think if the cast is not exposed to air, oxydization will be slower. Opinions? Thanks, Ken

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Leave water in or drain?

Hi people;

My boat will be stored in a heatted shop all winter. I'm wondering if I should drain the water out or leaave it in. Which way promotes more rust? I will be changing exhaust flappers or at least inspecting them because I think I hear one flopping around in the pipe, but most likely not for a few months. I think if the cast is not exposed to air, oxydization will be slower. Opinions? Thanks, Ken

Ayuh,.... The amount of rust, in a freshwater boat motor is pretty much irrelevant....
It rusts danm little, wet or dry....

As for the water in the block,....
What are gonna do when the heat goes out in the shop, 'n it's -35? outside,..??

Drain it......

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Ice storms, power outages? Unless it's backed with emergency generators, drain it!

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

I guess that makes sense,although never had that happen yet. There is always that first time. Thannks guys.

Ken

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

$10 in propylene glycol is much cheaper than a new block. my vote is to drain it, then pour in some marine/RV antifreeze

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I always stored mine with antifreeze for peace of mind. However this year I may flush with antifreeze and leave dry. My vote is to get the water out in case the building looses heat for some reason.

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class

It takes what, all of 2 minutes to pull the drains??? And you never have to worry about any what ifs.