Drilling holes in transom for motor... any tips?

Larry Tate

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys i am installing my 79 evinrude 115 hp on my boat this week. i was wondering, is it ok to rest the motor on the transom (the motor bracket has a little hooked end on it i can use to hang it off the transom) while i drill the holes? it will be all lined up perfect but i am curious if i shouldnt drill the holes when its hanging on the transom like that. maybe there will be too much pressure on it, maybe i should lift it a hair before drilling the holes and making it a done deal? all input is appreciated.

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: Drilling holes in transom for motor... any tips?

Should be fine to drill while motor is sitting on it. As long as the transom is solid. Pre-drill the holes with small bit to start,then larger bit for bolt size.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You're saying the transom was never drilled before (i.e. a brand new boat)? BTW, I would not use the motor as a drill template.

Larry Tate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no, the transom has had a motor on it before, i just finished filling and finishing the old holes.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

That may have been a mistake. Most motors in the last 30 or more years share a common bolt pattern. My boat has 2007 E-Tecs and the prior motors were '95 Mercs ... same bolt holes for both.

Larry Tate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah i definitely checked that haha...the motor on it before was a 115 tower of power the distance between hole was 7in for the merc and almost 10in for the rude.

nwcove

Admiral

make sure you drill the right holes, in the right spot (height) so you can have the option of raising or lowering the motor without drilling more holes!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Also make sure you measure from the chines of the boat to find dead center. Don't use the top of the transom.

Larry Tate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks boobie, i just got er done and it went well...found dead center and used a piece of cardboard to mark the holes for the mount it worked well...will post back with info tomorrow night.