1988 Wellcraft 170 Classic question

gee305pipd

Recruit
Hello, I recently purchased a 1988 Wellcraft 170 Classic with the 3.0 engine in it and trying to find out the weight to purchase a boat lift and Iam getting conflicting stories. I have a dealer telling me the boat weighs over 2700 lbs and I found several places here on the internet showing it weighs about 1900 lbs. I have found a 2000 lb boat lift for a 17 foot boat that I want to buy but I don't want to buy it if its not going to be enough for my boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: 1988 Wellcraft 170 Classic question

Hello, I recently purchased a 1988 Wellcraft 170 Classic with the 3.0 engine in it and trying to find out the weight to purchase a boat lift and Iam getting conflicting stories. I have a dealer telling me the boat weighs over 2700 lbs and I found several places here on the internet showing it weighs about 1900 lbs. I have found a 2000 lb boat lift for a 17 foot boat that I want to buy but I don't want to buy it if its not going to be enough for my boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

just from my own past experience with boat lifts, I would double the capacity of the lift compared to the boat weight. This will compensate for loads aboard such as fuel, etc. If your lift is a floation style not a mechanical lift this will also help you compensate for more radical air temp changes.