Bow or midship turnfins. Do they make a big difference ?

cyclops2

Banned
My 2002 Chaparrel 186 SSI with a 5.0 L Merc is stern heavy. It is 18.5' long at the water line. 8' wide for the last 40% of the stern area.

Has massive prop walk docking & idleing along and has that slow wandering back & forth.

Will LARGE turn fins mounted on the centerline of the bow help a lot when they are in the water during OFFPLANE speeds ?

What prevents them from breaking off ? What mounting methods reduce damage to the mounting area if they are hit by something?

Does something like Silicone Rubber or 5200 type adhesives do the job ?

Rich

Edit I will add approximately 100 lbs under the bow seats to better balance the boat at rest.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bow or midship turnfins. Do they make a big difference ?

I've never seen them added to a late-model i/o. On an inboard or v-drive the base is inset into the hull (to reduce drag) and bolted/screwed into the hull.
If just glued on, they would get ripped off and be on the bottom of the lake the first time you made a turn.

Here are photos of a few.

http://www.waterskis.com/Props-and-Underwater-Gear-s/315.htm

salty87

Commander

on an inboard, they're often called tracking fins.

they don't do much at low speeds, inboards will wander back and forth too. the tracking fins grab when the boat is up to speed, helps keep a straight line when you're pulling a skier or boarder.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Fins on the hull won't help with the issues you are concerned with.