Impossible prop to find

theduckman

Cadet
I'm looking for a 1967 Wards SeaKing 6 hp outboard propeller with shearpin and nut on a smooth shaft, which turns out has become impossible to find? Does anyone know where to find one?

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Impossible prop to find

They probably only made one prop for that motor with nothing available aftermarket. Do you still have the original prop? If it's mucked up you can probably still get it repaired to a usable state.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Very likely that was built by Chrysler model number will tell.
It is possible while a slightly different pitch (7") the West Bend60,62-65 5.5 & 6 hp, and early 60s Chrysler 6 hp 7 1/2" pitch may fit. Fairwinds Marine claims to have all Chrysler parts.
I believe these all use pin drive a 5/32 pin of various lengths.Sea King props back to the 64 5.5 and the 65-67 6hp should fit.with the 7" pitch in consideration.
My aftermarket service manual covering other brands to 72 only lists Sea King up to 65.
Perhaps 66,67,68 were over looked due to the Chrysler purchase of West Bend in 65.
My 69-85 aftermarket manual covers Chrysler built Sea King 6,69-72.
6hp prop description is the same as my older manuals.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Is there a prop on it now? A prop shop can repair and rehub if necessary.
I did find a 7 1/2 X 6 FP468 at nadawes@shaw.ca
A little under sized but better than no prop at all.
A prop shop may be able to add a little pitch if necessary.
What kind of boat/load are you pushing?

theduckman

Cadet

Very likely that was built by Chrysler model number will tell.
It is possible while a slightly different pitch (7") the West Bend60,62-65 5.5 & 6 hp, and early 60s Chrysler 6 hp 7 1/2" pitch may fit. Fairwinds Marine claims to have all Chrysler parts.
I believe these all use pin drive a 5/32 pin of various lengths.Sea King props back to the 64 5.5 and the 65-67 6hp should fit.with the 7" pitch in consideration.
My aftermarket service manual covering other brands to 72 only lists Sea King up to 65.
Perhaps 66,67,68 were over looked due to the Chrysler purchase of West Bend in 65.
My 69-85 aftermarket manual covers Chrysler built Sea King 6,69-72.
6hp prop description is the same as my older manuals.
So perhaps I could find a different year model propeller that will fit on what I need? I just need the propeller shearpin and nut. Are the propellers your talking about smooth shaft? Mine is..

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I can't guarantee it but these all appear to be smooth bore pin drive.
You'll need to find out from the dealer/seller description. Again Fairwinds marina claims to have it all perhaps they can tell you exactly what will fit.
I have found that many of the dealers on ebay do list what a part fits.
Including older parts.As far as a nut you can probaly find a stainless or brass castle nut
at the hardware or industrial supply.

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What about having a machine shop make a pin and nut?

skyaggie

Seaman Apprentice

Try mastertechmarine.com. they have an advanced parts search and you can call for info on more obscure models. They have found everything I've ever needed.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Have you talked to Fairwinds Marina? Try at www.aomci.org They have a free webvertize.
I don't think you have to be a member.Check ebay every day or so.
Fairwinds may be able to tell if a splined prop will go on a smooth shaft.It appears that the splined props also have a pin;probably to locate it on the shaft.

theduckman

Cadet

I talked to fairwinds, they have some but are in bad shape...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Most likely they could be repaired.
Found this on ebay this morning 280692239547.
Vendor has extensive history.

theduckman

Cadet

I looked at the ebay post, thats a little steep on the price. I have found a reasonable prop for a reasonable price, but need a bearing carrier...