Drive shaft sleeve for 90 ELPTO

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I am looking for a replacement prop hub for my 90 ELPTO made in 2000.
Have just found Mercury part number 835290Q1 for Mercruiser called Drive Sleeve
but it doesn't show up in the 90 ELPTO parts catalogue for some reason:
835290Q1 Flo-Torq II Drive Sleeve.png

Can anyone confirm if it fits (or doesn't fit) my outboard as well? It looks similar
to the old one taken off from it:
Prop Hub.jpg

Many thanks in advance,

Dmitriy

Last edited:

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Prop hub for 90 ELPTO

Hi All,

Could anyone please tell me the Flo-Torq II hub for 90 ELPTO made in 2000?
As mentioned above part number 835290Q1 Drive Sleeve is for MerCruiser, so trying to confirm if it's compatible.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Dmitriy

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drive shaft sleeve for 90 ELPTO

Well sir apparently not or they would have answered you. I just pulled my service manual for engines of 90 thru 125 hp SN USA OD283222 and above and there is nothing that looks like that in the IPBreakdown.

The only sleeve mentioned fits beneath the water pump and is called a "wear sleeve assembly" and seems to support the upper lower unit drive shaft carrier bearing which is just below the upper lower unit oil seals which are just below the water pump lower plate.

Does that help?

Mark

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Mark,

Is that part #42461A1 you're talking about by chance? I found this one when searching through the list of parts in the lower unit and when Google showed me the pictures of it I realised it's some other and unrelated sleeve. The one I'm after is best known as prop hub: drive shaft with it on top go into the prop.

Many thanks,

Dmitriy

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Gerry,

Many thanks for your reply and the link, that's exactly the part I'm after. But I thought it's a standard Mercury part similar to the one for MerCruiser I'm referring to... cannot see much difference between inboard and outboard when it comes to props.

I'll try to research it with prop shops further but will probably have to buy and try one as they seem to be the same part (I've just updated my initial post with the image of the used one taken off from my drive shaft).

Dmitriy

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've also found kit 835257Q1 that does suit my 90 ELPTO. The hub is a part of this kit and I'm now trying to find out its #. What's interesting is that kit 835257Q1 is made under the Mercury/Quicksilver brand and so is OEM? But how come the hub itself isn't OEM in this case?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drive shaft sleeve for 90 ELPTO

Okaye, carlhome nailed it and once he said that it is a prop hub I recognized it for what it was/is......and it is not part of the "drive shaft" assy, it slips over the "prop shaft". The drive shaft is the shaft connecting the bottom of the engine's crankshaft to the drive gear in the lower unit and powers the water pump.

Explains why I couldn't find in my IPBreakdown.

Anyhew, glad you got an answer that makes sense.

Mark

dandreye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Mark,

That was my mistake, sorry: part 835290Q1 is called Drive Sleeve at Boats dot net, which made me think it's Drive Shaft Sleeve. They should rename it into Prop Shaft Sleeve to avoid confusion.

Btw they also confirmed to me earlier today after talking to Mercury that 835290Q1 is suitable for my 90ELPTO engine and that it is indeed a part of kit 835257Q1.

Still interesting that the outboard "ends" at the prop shaft not at the prop, especially given that the prop (without a hub) is shown on the catalogue page with the lower unit. I know there's a variety of hubs but would still expect at least one type e.g. Flo-Torq II that these engines shipped with to be a part of them. The fact that anyone can make their own hub for a Mercury engine does not necessarily mean Mercury cannot make theirs and call it "standard".

Thanks & Regards,

Dmitriy