Johnson 150 fastrike fuel supply.

James R

Commander
Very Interesting! Ran the identical motor using the Attwood Fuel/water separator S 2090 on my Cobia. Had a fuel shortage warning when using an Auxillury 6 Gal tank. Cured that problem by switching to the main tank. Now with the identical motor fitted to my Nitro and using the same filter and using the main tank we get a fuel shortage problem. Bypassing the filter and all is well.
Any thoughts on this guys?

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson 150 fastrike fuel supply.

Fuel passages probley not large enough in the filter housing and fittings. The best filter housing and fittings on the market are BRP, which is Evinrude/Johnson. Inside of fittings and filter passages should be a min of 9/32. I just drill them out to 5/16.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That V6 motor should be using 3/8" fuel lines and fittings. 5/16" is a bit small. That motor could use 15 gal/hour. Most separators have a GPH rating. What does the Atwood say?

clanton

Rear Admiral

A fitting that fits a 3/8 hose will not have a 3/8 inside dia. These are OMC, BRP specs.

James R

Commander

First let me thank you for your informative responses.
I don't have the GPH but I have Emailed Attwood and hope to have the info soon.
As far as measurements are concerned I have 3/8 hose with 3/8 fittings. The fittings are bored at 9/32".
The ports inside the filter are 7/16".
I don't suspect the fuel pump as I dismantled it and checked it out for wear and any damage. The crank case connection is tight.
I am running 50:1 with the oil inlet hose plugged. The same set up I had with the other motor on the Cobia.
I am sure we will find the answer and it will, as usual, be something stupid. I value your inputs on this please stay with me.
Thank you.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check the vacuum switch.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Replace the anti-siphon valve with a standard hose barb...

James R

Commander

Both suggestions sound good. I did check the wiring from the Vacuum switch by linking and got the warning signal but I did not check the switch itself. Is there a simple test that can be done? The fact that it didn't sound off seems to indicate a problem with it.
The anti siphon was cleaned when I recently stripped the boat and cleaned the tank but it still could have a problem. I will look to replacing it with the new barb fitting.
Thanks again Guys.
I will keep you informed.

James R

Commander

Checked the vacuum switch with my test meter, sucking and blowing on the hose connection and there was no response. I have a spare and that reacted. Pried the soft wiring block along with the push on terminals out of the bad Switch. Tested the wires and all was well. Refitted the block and terminals and it now works.
Changing the anti siphon will be a little more difficult. No space, but we will do it.

Attachments

• 150.JPG
    150.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 0