Whips vs mooring arms

six50joe

Seaman Apprentice
I'm hoping someone with experience can comment on this subject. I have a 23' Hurricane Fundeck, and need to replace my whips, which are about 30 yrs old and probably a little too big for the boat.

I'm considering replacing them with mooring arms instead of new whips, but don't know anyone who's used them before. All the ones I've seen on the internet mount on top of the dock. We have a traditional plank wooden dock, and per our association rules I'm not able to use any docking solution that mounts on top of the dock. Rather, I need something that can mount on side boards that run along the underside of the planks. All the photos of mooring arms I've seen online mount on top, so I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone know if most mooring arms can be mounted on the side (facing the boat), and if not- which manufacturer makes ones that do?

2. There has been an ongoing concern in our association about excessive shearing and lateral force being put on the side boards of our docks due to mooring whips mounted there, which can warp the boards and weaken the overall structure during rough conditions. Would mooring arms make that problem worse, better, or no different than mooring whips?

I appreciate any insight to these questions.

Thanks!

Joe