Upper Drive Oil Kit

reavesga

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1972 MC-1 dirve that is running great. The other day I found a kit that installs an oil resevoire on the inside of the transom with a line that goes through the transom and replaces the upper drive oil screw. Is this worth doing? Will it extend the life of the drive?

Here is the link to the kit [url]http://www.mercstuff.com/reservoir.htm
[/URL]

cr2k

Captain
Re: Upper Drive Oil Kit

NO. Just change the oil every year like you are supposed to. If it's leaking fix it.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It can't hurt........

If you trailer your boat, it really isn;t needed because you can check it often. If you leave your boat in 5-6 months at a marina, I personally would like to have one of these.

One of my friends has a A1G2 drive that passes a 15psi leak test for days with no sign of leak. Yet if you have 5-6 people in the boat and are pulling a tube it will consume fluid. If the resivoir was not there it would have been toasted.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1972 MC-1 dirve that is running great. The other day I found a kit that installs an oil resevoire on the inside of the transom with a line that goes through the transom and replaces the upper drive oil screw. Is this worth doing? Will it extend the life of the drive?

Here is the link to the kit [URL]http://www.mercstuff.com/reservoir.htm
[/URL]

Installed that same one on an older Mercruiser years ago. Figured if it would work the same as a coolant tank on a car, and it did. After changing drive oil, there is always some air stuck in there. After it's run for a while, you can pull the plug out and it will always need to be topped off at least once to replace the air that burped to the top and keep the drive full. The tank helps by letting the air burp into the tank when warm, then replace with oil when it cools. Pretty simple. Plus, it allows you to check to see if you are using oil due to a crappy seal on the drive. If it was an uneeded item, Mercruiser wouldn't be installing them on everything, these days.