441S Maps

rmdt4

Recruit
I own a 441s and I don't understand 2 things. Please Help.
1) I create a route between 2 points and it takes through an island on the lake, why can't it go around the
island?
2) I purchased a DVD that helps explain how to use the Charts/Sonar. The charts on the DVD and on the
website all show the area in detail, like water depth, channel markers. My 441s does not show either one, even if I'm right next to one of the markers on the lake.

Please Help.

rmdt4

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 441S Maps

GPS make routes via the shortest distance between two points. If you want auto-routing, we'll need a Vision chip.

Go into setup and change map detail to more or most

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: 441S Maps

I would not really call a straight line from starting point to destination a route.

With GPS your navigation is always a straight line, no curves or bends.

In your example set a waypoint at your starting point.
Look at your chart and see how far you can go in a straight line and set another waypoint there. Now at that point if you can go in a straight line to your destination then your next waypoint will be your destination. In most cases you will need to set many waypoints to get safely to your destination.

After you make this route then follow it with either your compass or the steering indicator only while one of your guest watches to make sure it is safe.

One day it will be foggy or dark and you will not be able to see where you are headed. This is when you find out if you were really following your route or steering looking out the window.

One route I follow offten on my boat is from our launch site out to the open ocean a distance of about 4 miles. The first 2.5 there are 26 buoys so I have 13 waypoints set between every pair of buoys. The channel is about 60 feet wide with many course changes with heavy fog every morning. Once you get to the outer bay then I have 5 more waypoints to get out to the open ocean. After that you can go North or South pretty safe. Just have to watch for Whales and other boats.