aq131a wont start

shawnn82

Seaman
I just recently upgraded my points to the pertronix ignition module. Installed a flamethrower coil as well. Put everything back togethre and engine now wont start. It started up fine before the upgrade but since i had a power loss problem (boat wouldnt get up to 3000rpm in the water) i decided to do the upgrade. I found the problem to be with the advance weights on the distributor being ceased up. SO i got a used distributor and installed it in. ANyways, now when i start it up , if i give any throttle to it, i hear a blowout, sounds like a misfire and get smoke to come out of the carbeurator. I tried again but this time i moved the distributor counter clockwise quite a bit and the engine started but the RPM,s were so low, it didnt run for more than 30 seconds before i tried giving it some gas again and i get the misfire sound with smoke comin out of the carb. i thought maybe i was 180deg off. So i got #1to TDC and had the crankshaft timing mark on 0 deg on timing plate cover and turned the rotor shaft 180deg to align rotor with #1 cylinder wire on cap. Fired it up and now it wont start at all. Atleast before i would get it to make an attempt. I did a field test on the module and it tested working and functional. Any ideas as to what could be wrong? I know my fuel pumps workin.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Re: aq131a wont start

Did you make sure the camshaft pully notch was aligned with it's mark when the crankshaft was at TDC?
Are you sure the coil matchs the ignitino module for resistance?

shawnn82

Seaman

Did you make sure the camshaft pully notch was aligned with it's mark when the crankshaft was at TDC?
Are you sure the coil matchs the ignitino module for resistance?

I will check the the notches again. Im pretty sure i had all the notches aligned. But will double check just to make sure. As far as the module and coil, I have a PerTronix 40511 Flame-Thrower 40,000 Volt 3.0 ohm Coil with a Pertronix 2842 Bosch 4 Cylinder Ignitor
I believe it is the right one?

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class

Putting the distributor in correctly was a challenge for me. The directions dont seem to make sense in the manual until you consider the twisting that the shaft does as you lower it in. Could be that the distributor is in out of 'time'?

Heres a way to check that....hook up a timing light....disconnect all the plug wires so it wont start. hook the timing light to wire #1 and have someone crank it over. Get back there and see if you're at least in the ballpark with the timing. If the mark is nowhere in the range, Id wager that the dist. is out of time.,

shawnn82

Seaman

....hook up a timing light....disconnect all the plug wires so it wont start. hook the timing light to wire #1 and have someone crank it over. Get back there and see if you're at least in the ballpark with the timing. If the mark is nowhere in the range, Id wager that the dist. is out of time.,

Ok stupid question(still learning my way around this engine and engines in general), is there a way to do this while hand cranking the engine manually? Just so i know to stop exactly when the timing light comes on and check the position of the rotor. Correct me if im wrong but the timing light should come on #1 plug wire when all 3 notches (camshaft, crankshaft and accessory?) line up with the timing marks?

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer

You cannot do it hand cranking if it's not points.
Since you went electronic, you have fewer options.

Timing light should com on with starter doing the cranking when all three marks line up AND the distributer rotor is pointing at #1 plug wire.

shawnn82

Seaman
Gotcha! Im gonna get me a remote starter switch. Make it a little easier. How would i hook it up?