800 stringers or head in the oven?????

papamendy

Cadet
Recently came into virtually a "free" boat. 1985 Sea Ray 270 Sundancer with a 2005 Loadmaster 30 ft. tri axle trailer. Trailer was for storage only and perfect. The boat......actually in really nice shape,no soft spots in hull,decks or transom. Inside of cabin is about an 8 out of ten with one through deck small leak noted. All systems from pressure water to trim tabs work as they should. Full camper canvass,cockpit cover etc....all the trimmings in really well cared for condition. THE DRIVE system. a pair of 3.8 liter buick v6's that start and run smooth at idle and under load. Brand new transom seals plus 8K in receipts from previous owner in replacement/update engine parts.The boat is actually really nice and well mantained.......the outdrives. ........previous owner put a bunch of $$$$$ into boat systems and upgrading (8K) was told it was OK to run 800 stringers trimmed up in shallow water....we all know what happens next. Long story short I have 1 upper gear case that is probably OK.....one needs rebuilding.....one lower case that is OK and one that is crap. Props are new. I have heard opinions from get rid of the boat and dont look back, to repower with mercs....to go ahead and replace both 800 units.
I have wrenched on my own cars, bikes, and boats for over 30 years....and enjoy my garage time. My wife loves MG cars and has two....so I know all about lousy design and wiring. I also know that with not beating on our "toys" and proper upkeep......they have been working since 1975. So a question for you 800 Stringer guys. I am leaning toward getting two complete "new " units from a place like Crowley Marine. The shift cables are fine......but I figure it would not hurt to save them as spares. Using my top pivot plates and exhaust cover...all other components are new. Prob looking at close to 10K when all is done (plus a few cases of beer....looking at the engine compartment shift cable cluster*%$$#) Actually....this is all that is left to do on the boat. It will be used as sort of a floating patio and not for any high speed runs,tubing, etc. Mostley 5knot cruises at nite.
So I am looking for opinions/experiences. Design of outdrive looks like it would favor slow speed operation and be pretty bulletproof ( what I need) and not be too reliable with alot of stops and starts and high speed out of the hole stuff (what I dont need) I have heard plenty of " I know a guy" stories.....looking to hear from some guys with actual good or bad experience with the 800.
Thanks in advance for any input.....leaning toward the 800 re-power right now as I have nothing really invested.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 800 stringers or head in the oven?????

Ayuh,.... I think I'd go with puttin' yer head in a Gas oven,....
Or,...
Swappin' in Mercs or Volvos...

I've done, 'n am doin' several swaps in Classic hulls...

papamendy

Cadet

Does that go for the engines and the outdrives. Can the engines be used with a bell housing for an Alpha one drive....or any other......after the transom work is done.

Bondo

Staff member

Does that go for the engines and the outdrives. Can the engines be used with a bell housing for an Alpha one drive....or any other......after the transom work is done.

Ayuh,.... If the motor's a Chevy, ya just strip off the OMC dressin's down to the Long Block configuration, 'n build it back as a Merc, or Volvo...

The Best, 'n Cheapest way to pull it off is to go find a Donor boat with the motor/ drive combo ya want, 'n Junk it out....
That way, ya got All the little pieces to make stuff Fit Right....

You can always sell off the OMC junk, 'n the scrapped out hull...
Probably not as a package of course....

southkogs

Staff member

As a quick "hail Mary" - do a little searching on CL and eBay. I turned up a great deal on an electric shift outdrive for my boat that'll help keep me in business for a while. I don't know that I'd buy a new/replacement drive from Crowley (or anyone for that matter), personally. It's just too much money to put into that system better spent as Bond-O suggests. However, if you can find a couple of working drives for cheap and make it through a season or three - that'll help save up for all the transom work you'll have converting over to Merc. You'll have a couple of big holes to fill in.

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a quick correction to the original post, those are 3.8 chevys, not buicks. Basically a smaller 4.3.

I would second the head in the oven.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I don't want to get in the stringer or no stringer fight, but, I also do have an OMC, so I have some experience with this and I'd say check around to see if ANYONE will work on these, because sooner or later you may come up against something you can't fix yourself, then what? Even if you can get parts, without the special tools, manuals and experience to fix it you may be SOL...
The guy before you dropped 8K on it, that he will never get back....why repeat the same mistake, with all the decent Merc and Volvo and outboard powered boats out there....