99 mercury 40 hp 4 stroke electrical question

lurebreaker

Recruit
Hi everyone, i have my 99 mercury 4 stroke serial number 0G878852 that is a pull start model. I have been doing extensive research and concluded that adding a starter to this model is cost prohibitive. However i would like to be able to at least get some charging capabilities out of this engine. I also did more research and even purchased a mercury issued repair manual but am still stumped. i wanted to know if anyone can point me in the direction of how to wire this up. I figured i have the stator capable of doing this because i have 2 yellow wires coming out and lying in the motor on a wire loom. i just ebayed a voltage reg. that has 5 wire ,grey(tach) yellow ,yellow(stator) and of course black is my ground. My question is what does 1 of the 2 red wires actually do? My manual shows the reg with ony one red wire but after countless hours on this forum and others i have concluded i have the right regulator but i have 2 red wires coming off it. Also my intentions were to run the wires off the regulator and directly to the battery. Im no electric expert by any means so any help i will be greatful for. Thanks so much!

MY IT

Recruit
Re: 99 mercury 40 hp 4 stroke electrical question

Hey I have a 2 stroke 40 HP Mercury and I'm trying to ssort out charging as well. Did you have any luck? Cheers, Ryan