Hooked up batter cables backwards, what did I fry?

My 1993 Force 70 hp I inadvertantly hooked up my battery cables backwards. I'm sure I fried my rectifier/regulator. Did I fry my stator also? With new regulator installed I still do not get any battery charge. My tach works once it gets up to 1500 to 2000 rpm.
Thanks for any help.

fucawi

Banned
Re: Hooked up batter cables backwards, what did I fry?

probably only wrecked the rectifier/regulator..you say no charge ? do you mean after you fitted a new one ? does it have a circuit breaker that has popped?...To check your sttor coil ..disconnect it ..measure resistance ( continuity) and you should get about 16v when the engine is running ..if thats fine its the rectifier or trip fuse.
A short in the rectifier could be holding the output down so the tacho does not work right.

Yes, I put in a new CDI rectifier/regulator. No charge. The problem with the tach is with the new regulator. I will check the output of the stator.
Do I check it across both yellow wires or one yellow wire to ground?
Thanks

fucawi

Banned

no the yellow wires disconnected...check across for continuity and from one to earth to see if its shorted to earth

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Do you have a picture of the replacement regulator set up?

Do you have a picture of the replacement regulator set up?

I checked the ohms from my stator. It checked good. I then checked the (AC) voltage from my stator and only got 3 volts. I then checked the (DC) voltage from my regulator/rectifier and only got .5 volts.
Looks like I found my problem. DARN!! Anybody got a Honda 4 stroke 125 for a pontoon for sale?
Thanks for all of your help. I'll let you know if a new stator fixes the problem.

fucawi

Banned

what revs did you have the motor at ? If you were at 3000 + you should get 16v ....did you check if its shorted to earth ...? Still as you say you found your problem IF YOU HAD THE REVS ON .

I did run the r's up. Did a slow rise from idle to 3500. The volts (AC) never moved past 3.
Installed new stator yesterday. All works as advertised. No hic-ups with the tach any more either.
found a melted coil in the old one once I got it out. Those flywheels are a pain to get off and back on.
Thanks for all the info. This is a good forum for do-it-yourselfers!!