laminating plywood

springer59

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everybody, just needing a little more info on bindind,er...lamanating larger than 4X8' size pieces of plywood to say make a finished size of about 9X10' for a roof structure on my 25' luhrs sportfisher.Wondering about where to stagger the joints, ect. to get the strongest laminate for the thinest layers that i can,so if Wood, or Y.D. or Ondavr could spare me a couple of minutes on that it would really help me so much &thanks in advance. Springer

Peteco

Seaman Apprentice
Re: laminating plywood

You could also consider epoxy laminating over a foam core, you can use the home depot or lowes pink or blue stuff and glass over it. Would be the lightest weight solution.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

9x10. Here's how I'd do it to yield a 9x10 foot sheet 3/8" thick.

Click the Pic to Enlarge.

Laminations.jpg

springer59

Seaman Apprentice

thanks W.O.G. , thats what i was picturing in my feeble mind , but was thinking i left out it's a flybridge (dang mineral spirits fumes) so i belive 2 layers, 3/8ths EXT ply w/same schedule of lay-up should work. Right? The flybridge is only 1 piece & 'bout 200 lbs at most "all dressed out".It will be supported w/ 6 2x4 crowned "joists" from the cabin wall sides. About to start a VERY long restore thread on it in about 2-3 weeks w/ lots of pics.Just trying to get some a jump on some of things I know I will be facing in the near future.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

not sure if this will work without seeing what you are working with, but could you use "fiberglass beams" to take place of the plywood? I did that with cardboard tubes under my bow. It is amazing how stiff the bow deck is now.
bowglass.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Luhrs, thanks for putting up this post.....I got to thinking at lunch after I posted......what we are doing is similar, why I didn't think of it before, but I'm going to build a deck for my pontoon that is similar to what I did above.....I have been wrestling with how to build the deck without wood for 2 months now.....thanks for getting me thinking!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, 3/8 should work too, but... If you use epoxy with 6oz cloth on both sides and between both layers it would be strong as heck. Not sure you need a full 3/4" thickness but... If you believe it is required, go for it.

springer59

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Wood, Yeah I need the strength ,#1 son is 6' 270 , & nimble as a hippo.LOL.
Arch; The beams under it are exposed so i will stain them & re-assemble mostly like stock, although I really like that idea & may use ir elswhere on da barge! :)I,going to try this post a pic thing,(moderators;my comp skills lack a little so please be easy on me!)

springer59

Seaman Apprentice

boat 2 019.jpg
Well , gotta work on that some more but there are six of those "beams" also supporting the roof.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Got it, I figured it might be something like that. You did get me to thinking, did some sketches today on how I want to do my pontoon deck, thanks for the inspiration!