71 100hp running hot on right side of engine

saab84

Recruit
(boat is new to me) took the boat out the first time it did not run well at high speed. I just rebuilt the carbs new fuel lines carbs looked good put it all back together went down to the boat ramp (its right around the corner) put engine in the water about 5in above the top fin was adjusting the carbs when the warning buzzer came on the right side was hotter than the left side.

Checked compression before taking to boat ramp all 4 where at 125psi

Water pump? or too rich/lean when adjusting the carbs?

Thanks

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 71 100hp running hot on right side of engine

When you have an overheat prob go for the throat first. Do the water pump and go from there.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

seems to me a head gasket would be also in this equation.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You can also pull of that right side cylinder head cover and check the passages inside for restrictions such as sand accumulation or salt buildup. What you see inside the head water passages will also be inside the block.

saab84

Recruit

Update took the boat back home adjusted the carbs on the muff (no over heating) when back down to the ramp put the boat in the water drove the boat around for about 1 1/2 hours adjusted the carbs some more no over heating.

BYW the first time I took the boat out (new boat to me) for about 20min no over heating.