Proper use of fogging oil

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Time to winterize; I store my 8HP Honda in my basement on a stand. I like to run it for a few mins in a garbage can of clean water, then drain, change oil, gear oil. I also like to run it dry by unhooking the fuel line. If I spray fogging oil in the carb throat, it dies, thus I can't run dry. If I run dry, it's not sucking fogging oil in.

Is it better to 1) run it dry, then do something like spray fogging oil directly into the cylinders, or 2) maybe to spray into the carb and then use the carb drain plug to empty the fuel? I'd also remove and blow out the pilot jet, because it is easily accessible on this carb.

Thanks, Peter

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Proper use of fogging oil

You must run the carb out, unless you will drain it with the drain plug. You can add TCW-3 2-stroke oil (or non-aerosol fogging oil) to the last bit of fuel to help oil up everything, BTW. Won't hurt a thing to run with oil in the gas for a short while, but will leave some residue on the plugs -- but then, so will fogging. It's fine to spray the fogging oil into the cylinders afterward, but probably more thorough coating of the valves if you fog it through the intake while running. For the Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury motors of your size, there is a good step-by-step winterizing procedure at http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/winterize.html

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Proper use of Power Tuner

Proper use of Power Tuner

The can states that you must spray power tuner with engine on through carb untill engine dies, what about if you don't plan to remove carb air intake, but through removed plugs, with pistons at vertical position spray equal amounts on both cylinder, let rest/penetrate for some minutes, pull cord to move pistons, let rest for some more minutes, place plugs back on, run engine at wot for some time to burn power tuner, will this procedure work properly ?

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Proper use of Power Tuner

Different product. Engine Tuner is for de-carboning. Fogging oil is for preserving during the off season.

Engine Tuner is a super-detergent, and needs to be run through a warmed-up motor.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Paul, know the difference between both, was just borrowing near same thread, both products needs to be run through carb with engine on to work. Remenber the rusty oldie 5 HP, nearly floded power head/piston rings with power tuner with up side down cold block, let stand for some hours, rinsed with gasoline. Engine works like a champ, more power compared to just not doing anything.

Happy Boating