Starter Problem.

76 Bass Cat

Recruit
Hello. This is my first post here. This is the second new starter i have put on in the last 2 weeks. Both have done the same thing. After attaching them and hooking them up, I started the motor. Both time the motor started fine and ran for a minute. I turned the key off, the motor stopped, but when i went to restart the motor the starter piston did not raise up to engage the flywheel. The first time i thought it was a faulty starter. I sent it back and got a new one. The second one did the exact same thing. It spins but does not raise to engage the flywheel. It is a 1976 Johnson, 115hp. If anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate it. Thank You.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter Problem.

Many starter are replaced prematurely.

Your real issue is likely in the wiring or battery.

Is your battery fully charged and load tested?

If it is fully charged and load tested, time to look to the wiring/connections.

Remove all connections at the battery, solenoid, starter and especially the ground and polish them to a shine then re tighten. Inspect the wiring for nicks, cuts abrasions, or "crunching" when you flex it. Voltage drop testing is an excellent test for this.

Let us know how you do.

76 Bass Cat

Recruit

Thanks. Batteries are fully charged and all are new as of this spring. I will disconnect everything and clean all connections again. Have not cleaned connections at solenoid and ground. Will do that and check for nicks and other issues. Appreciate your quick response. Will let you know what i find.

76 Bass Cat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

try a test: run a jumper cable from the battery straight to the starter with the key on. If it works, then you know the problem is as suggested, in the line.

bbodin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another thing to think about. Where are you getting the starters? I have seen several faulty parts in a row from cheap suppliers.
Also, did the starter bendix go back down after you released the key while the motor was running? If it stayed enaged the starter motor could have gotten too hot and was damaged.
I would also take a serious look at the starter relay which is probably the problem. Most relays are supplied voltage from several areas. A relay going bad could cause th motor to turn but not allow the bendix to extend.
One other thing, make sure that there is nothing keeping the bendix in. such as screws, wires, or even a bent motor mount.

76 Bass Cat

Recruit

Here is what I have done this morning. Have disconnected all wires and cleaned them up. Reconnected power to the starter,started it up and it did the same thing as yesterday. The bendix or armature spins freely but does not raise up to engage the flywheel. So I disconnected the power to the starter and ran a jumper cable from the battery to the starter. Same results. I did not have to turn the key on. As soon as I touched the cable to the starter it spun but did not go upward to engage the flywheel. Could I have gotten 2 bad starters in a row? The odd thing is that both starters initally started the motor. On turning the motor off and restarting it they both acted the same. They spin freely but do not raise up to engage the flywheel. I am still at a loss. Thank you.

76 Bass Cat

Recruit

I'm sorry. I forgot to ask. What and where is the starter relay. I can not find it in my service or parts manual. Thank You.

76 Bass Cat

Recruit

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I am at a loss. Both of the starters I have tried have each worked once. They were purchased from 2 diff. places but appear to have been made by the same company. Could they both be faulty, or is something else going on with my boat. Can anyone suggest a good company to purchase a new one from. I had no problem returning the first one and will be removing the second one later today. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Very unlikely any new starter is faulty. Most OB starters are direct drive. The gear will ride up in some grooves to meet the flywheel. Those grooves need a light grease or better yet some oil. I receommend you work the gear up and down with your fingers (Key off) to see if it is hanging up on some dirt.

Also check the ground cable as well as the power cable. Feel withyour fingers all along the cable. Corrosion can occur under the insulation, rendering the cable useless. Use a jumper cable from battery to engine block to assure good ground. You didn't paint the ground contact point of the starter, right?

I'm sorry. I forgot to ask. What and where is the starter relay. I can not find it in my service or parts manual. Thank You.

Most of the rest of us call that a solenoid.

Here's a thought, did you lubricate the starter bendix? Try just a drop or two of a light oil and see if that helps.