1953 Elgin 5.5 Mixture Screw Measurements Needed - Making one myself

docmiata

Recruit
Gentlemen

I need a fuel mixture screw for a 1950's Elgin 5.5 hp twin. Can't seem to find one, so I'm going to make one.
I am a machinist, so what I really need is someone with one of these engines to measure up his/her mixture screw and send me the
dimensions, particularly the needle end, of course. I can make it myself easier than I can find one...Anyone up for the task?

See attached photo for specifics.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Attachments

• Elgin mix screw.JPG
    Elgin mix screw.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1953 Elgin 5.5 Mixture Screw Measurements Needed - Making one myself

Can't you just measure the one in the picture? Or do you only have the picture, no motor? I can probably pull one out and measure it if you are serious.

EDIT: Evinrude part number 276915 will probably work. But I can't guarantee the outer (knob) end will be the right length. Probably too long. www.marineengine.com has 10+ in stock.

Attachments

• Carburetor Exploded View.jpg
    Carburetor Exploded View.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Those old Elgins (built by West Bend Aluminum) typically used a Tillotson carb, which also can be found on the old Evinrudes, prior to 1954 and on the old Scotts. If you can, find a number on it and try searching through these other brand of outboards too.

docmiata

Recruit

Thanks for both of your replies - I'll look into the Evinrude part. The carb is a Tillotson MD57B. I'm looking for a spare, but am frustrated since I know I could make one for $5 on my lathe if I knew the specifics of the needle end....

I appreciate your both weighing-in

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, that same model (or similar) may have been used on the old Fleetwins and Fastwins, before 1953 and on the old 5hp Scotts around 1956. You might even try the AOMCI and one of the members can either help you out with the sizes, or a replacement.