Yamaha Jet 40HP jet Advice needed...

icecreamjones

Recruit
I currently have a 16' 2003 Fishrite Sled with a 4stroke Yamaha 40jet/60prop currently mounted on it. The problem I have run into that is that i can plane no problem with 2 people and once it planes out it runs smooth with no problems. When I have 3 people I have a hard time planing and I have adjusted the weight distribution to the front of the boat to help plane out better. I have also had the impeller 3blade sharpened and was advised it would make a big difference on the 3 blade, but have not noticed any significant improvement....My next approach is seeing if its worth on switching it out to a 4bladed stainless and see if it will give me the "giddy up" speed that i need to plane out. I have thought about even gettting a bigger motor, I have even looked at a 65hp or 70hp in a 4 stroke, but have been told they dont make them anymore and would have to wind up buying a used 2 stroke, which i dont want to...Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ICJ

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Yamaha Jet 40HP jet Advice needed...

First, don't buy the stainless impeller, it won't help on smaller outboards other than needing sharpening less often.

What is the max hp for your sled? If you want to stick with a 4 stroke you will need a larger motor to achive what you want. Outboard jets, the company that makes your pump, has many combinations of pump housings and impellers that they match to the power output of any given motor. To give you an idea, your 4 stroke 60/40 uses the same medium pump and 6 1/8in impeller as a 2 stroke 40/28.