1979 6-HP Jhnson / Evenrude Wont Start.. Help Please!!!

Ant-Knee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello All,

I am new to this forum an also new to the boating world..
I work on cars all the time just new with this outboard motor stuff, Heres the problem I am having..

I have a Johnson 1979 6HP outboard that I cant get to start.. When I picked motor up couple days ago I heard it run So I know it should run..

I have check for fire and it has plenty of fire, I remove the float bowl screw on the carb & it seems to have plenty of fuel but it will not start, I have pulled the cord 50 times already and does not even attempt to start.. I mixed the oil with gas at a 50:1 ratio as told, is this correct? I have drain and refilled the carb bowl 5 times already thinking maybe it was flooded but that does not seem to do it.. Any help would be appreciated..

Thank you all..

Ant-Knee

rwilso

Seaman
Re: 1979 6-HP Jhnson / Evenrude Wont Start.. Help Please!!!

Squirt some of your mixed fuel directly into carb if motor starts then you probably need to clean (rebuild carb)

Rick.

Captain

I assume your giving it lots of throttle and choke full on? Best of luck. Rick.

Ant-Knee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello Guys.

Thanks for your replies..

Got boat running today, The guy who had it before me had put car spark plugs in there, I got the correct plugs and it started right up...

Idles real nice but when I hit the throttle it dies, So I am going to rebuild the carb...

Thank you,

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Also ensure there is not fuel restriction

Ant-Knee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello Again.

Fuel seemed to be flowing fine..

Got carb all apart, Pretty nasty inside.. The float was pretty much history
so one of them is on the way, Wont be here till Monday or Tuesday tho. Got carb soaking in cleaner, Ill let it soak over weekend..
Think I should be good to go after carb is all back together... I am also going to change all the fuel lines...

Thanks all...

Ant...

Rick.

Captain

Sounds like your on the right path. Hope it all works fine. Use lots of compressed air to blow the carb. orifices from both directions. Keep us posted. Rick.

Ant-Knee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello All,

I would like to thank you all for the help, Got carb all back together , All parts I needed came in today..
Engine is running great now, Seems alll went well.. I must say that this was the easiest carb I have ever rebuilt..
I will take the boat on the water tomorrow as long as weather is permitting.. this is my first boat and I can't wait to take it out..

Again thank you for the replies and help.....

Ant...