help deciding on first boat!! (last purchase fell through :( )

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffconnell12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys so if any of you remember i was looking at getting a 16' aluminum however the deal was too good and got scooped up right away, not to mention the guy would never call me back when i was trying to arrange a time to see it, anyway i am now looking at these two guys, the canaventure is the 3rd owner, hes had it only since spring but is upgrading, has receipts from original owner - the boat and motor are 1978 - motor has just had regular service done apart from that he says nothing he knows about, says it has a solid transom and hull (i will further investigate myself), now for the second one im sure someone here will know but the motor looks much newer i havent got in touch with the owner so apart from whats in the ad i know nothing. Any advice? my price range is 2-2500 bucks, and i can go NO bigger than 16' (parking is limited), i am trying to scoop up a deal before the next season when prices go up again. I like the looks of the newer motor.. but i am a big fan of canaventures.. i just dont like the idea of having a motor over 30 years old.. the boat will primarily be in the ocean.. a calm bay.. unless i am feeling venturous, and then an odd time in the lake and will be used for lounging.. occasional tubing and may be a few trips up to deep cove area (somewhat open seas), all pending weather.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/boa/2624556278.html

http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/boa/2626243959.html

Summer Fun

Banned
Re: help deciding on first boat!! (last purchase fell through :( )

Keep looking. :). There's better deals out there.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

The Canaventure is 16-1800

The Sangster is only worth the motor. the rest is a headache

jeffconnell12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks so much for help so far guys, its dam hard to find something that doesnt seem like a gamble for aroun the 2k mark. Lots out there just.. more quantity than quality i guess, so should i be looking only for a motor that has been recently rebuilt.. seeing as the majority will be a couple decades old.. i am very familiar with cars, but know very little about boats and motors - except the similarities they share with any combustion engine. again im looking for around the 16ft mark, no bigger, and something that can handle some ocean going, but primarily lounging. thanks!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

In that price range you will really need to sort through the offerings, most of these boats are ?other people?s problems? looking for a new home. And many are ?project potential? types. To find a great boat you will be searching high and low, because 95% of them will be just as described above. All this means is you must take the ?impulse to buy? out of the equation, cream puffs do come up for sale but they will be far a few between.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you're anything like me, you'll be longing for an open bow after a season or two in a small closed bow. That's probably why these are for sale. Neither look to me real money pits or anything to me. The one with the Yamaha is probably a steal given the value of the newer motor.

Outboards don't die, you have to kill them. If you find one that's running well and has good even compression, it should be able to provide you with years of trouble free service if you keep it well maintained.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

EZ with the water he is boating in.....i would be worried about running an open bow. one good wave....he will stuff it.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So far I would go with the Sangster in your original post.

southkogs

Staff member

Hey Jeff - I like the Malibu in your other post a little better (I think). The Sangster wouldn't be bad at $2,200 if it's in good shape.

$1,600 is WAY too much for the K&C in the second ad. The cord hanging is likely part of the OB controls. If that 70hp is in outstanding shape, I would probably consider half of his total asking price based on his discription (rebuilt motor on a boat needing Craigslist "TLC" - that means it's a project). Lotsa' work to do on that boat.

jeffconnell12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay so i asked a few preliminary questions. this is the email i got back, i do understand that (considering where i live and having to get insurance for the day etc etc) it is a bit to ask to take a boat out for a test drive, i know you guys will probably strongly disagree but any time ive had someone agree to it, the boat has been sold before i got a chance to take it out. so im kind of unsure what to do, im okay with taking risks, but not being stupid..

ME:
Hi, boat still available? Do you have the receipts for the motor work? Has the impeller been replaced recently? What year is the motor? Does it have a stereo and do you have the papers for the trailer and boat? Also how is the condition of the transom and hull? Could we test drive it? Thanks!

OWNER:
nice list of questions
Yes still available
yes to the receipts on the motorwork
motor is mid 80's
has a stereo and yes I have all the paperwork
Boat is in good shape
Not going to put it in the water but I will run the engine with dogs ears and hose

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You've now got two identical posts in two threads. I'm closing this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.