60 hp johnson sputtering at full throttle

barrettr22

Cadet
hello

I have a 60 hp johnson rebuilt carbs changed over vro to regular fuel pump replace gaskets checked all electrical conn changed fuel everything checks out great but when i run it in or out of the water it sputters at full throttle and wont get up to speed what am i missing

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 60 hp johnson sputtering at full throttle

Did you clean the jets that are behind the float bowl plugs? They're easy to miss. Don't ask me how.
What's the year, model number????

barrettr22

Cadet

i did all three were clear and its prob late 80 model

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you go thru the 'link & sinc' ? Is this motor new to you, or did the symptoms just start?

barrettr22

Cadet

i didnt really go threw the long process but its just a boat i am working on thats what i do for a living but the boat is a customers and he put the fuel pump on and thats when it started running bad but i found that it had a bad timing base so replaced it went threw the carbs and changed the plugs still sputtering at full throttle checked timing for all cyclinders by marking the flywheel when each piston is all the way out everything was perfect checked the plugs to see if they were wet after it was ran at full throttle but they were dry ive done everything i can think of and im sure it is something very simple oh and the compression was fine and it was firing on all

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Can you read the number on the new fuel pump? Maybe he put the wrong one on? Also, check the WOT timing. You can find the procedure at the top of this forum in the "Top Secret File".

stanleyhw

Cadet

I'm having somewhat of the same problem with my 2001 70 hp johnson. When it gets warm and I stop to do some fishing and go to start it back up I does'nt want to come up to rpm. It started off about 2 years ago every now and again but now it does it every time I go fishing. Does this sound like the timer base to you.

barrettr22

Cadet

it really dont sound like the timer base being that it runs good cold try going trough the carbs by cleaning them make sure the needle and seat are closing off the fuel and check to see if you have spark on all cylinders but it sound like its flooding the carbs