1984 HP steaming out exhaust - E8RLCRM

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Last trip out I noticed what appeared to be an abnormal amount of either smoke or steam coming out of the motor heading back to the dock. Pee stream solid, but I checked when we got home and there is steam coming out the exhaust still yet. Was hoping it was simply the weather...Anyway pee stream is good, ran the motor for 5-6 minutes ans water in pee stream was warm but not hot. Not sure if this is normal as I am only idling it with a little speeding up here and there. Head hot to the touch in places, but can hold onto it for a second or two. Not sure....does this sound normal or possible thermostat issue or something worse? My 55hp shoots water out the exhaust but never noticed this motor doing that or sending out steam....Motor is a low hours 1984 Evinrude 8hp long shaft, E8RLCRM, used as a kicker motor. I notice no steam or leaks anywhere else on the motor.....

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1984 HP steaming out exhaust - E8RLCRM

jmo, but i would look first at the thermostat, then look at the head gasket. both are cheap fixes.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

How hot or warm should that water be? I guess I should have made myself more familiar with the motor before but still kind of new to these. Sad thing is we are supposed to take her out Sunday for our last fishing trip:(, so rather than take a chance I guess we will just use the trolling motor. No way I can get to the motor for 3-4 days as I am stuck with projects more pressing. At least it is a small lake!:p Looks like the stat will be easy to remove, ditto on head gasket. We got into a couple of large underwater grass messes recently, one we almost didn't get out of......Even though I know the pee stream was running I wonder if maybe we didn't get some crap in the system. Maybe it is just now catching up to me....

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The pee stream just means the pump is working not that the water is going where it should, the take off for my tell tale is well before the power head so you could have a blockage at the stat or somewhere else and it will still pee, they are cheap and pretty easy to do and probably needed change anyhow.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Well, the thermostat looks awful, and appears to be a lot of crud in the cooling system. The head gasket looked solid but it still looks like water was getting into lower cylinder. Easy motor to deal with, happy to say. Had these off in about 8 minutes. Gonna be a bear to clean inside though I bet. probably time to d/c the impeller too, however since I don't have a service manual yet, that needs to wait. Not looking good for additional boating anyway as our local lakes are muddy and days are short:(.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

I installed new head gasket, thermostat, spring and cleaned the water jacket area best I could to remove built up crud. Ran it for about 15 minutes in the barrel and I did not notice steam as before, so looks like I may be OK. However I did notice some water shooting out the exhaust. I have owned this motor for a few months but never noticed whether this is the norm. Is water coming out normal for these motors? Not pouring out, but does come out. The pee stream seems normal, heat seems normal.