Container Ship breaks apart in rough seas.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
My sister-in-law works for the largest container shipping company in the world. She manages and creates reports on how the container ships are doing while out to sea.

This article posted on yahoo is just one of DOZENS that happen every week. It is amazing how many cargo containers are sitting on the bottom of the oceans due to storms. The ship may survive, but the above deck cargo is a complete loss.

And still, Walmart can sell cheap sneakers from China for $20.00, even when an entire shipment goes to the bottom of the ocean.

What is funny is the Eco-Tree-Huggers don't complain about cargo going to Davie Jones Locker, yet they will raise hell about someone cutting off a tree branch.....

Just trying to put things in perspective....

Regards,

Mark

http://news.yahoo.com/stricken-ship-cracks-captain-faces-nz-court-114754126.html

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Container Ship breaks apart in rough seas.

BTW, this week a super cargo/tanker dumped ALL the containers off its above decks due to rough seas. Millions of dollars of cargo is now sitting on the ocean floor. Hope there are no "caustic" or "dangerous" materials in those containers. Plus, think how many hundreds of Chinese immigrants drowned (because they were in those containers that sank) due to the failure of the Captain to go around the storm, rather than right through it.

What a waste.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Mark, Really a terrible thing. I saw show on the discovery channel once about the war on drugs and how they scan these containers before they are put on ships looking for drugs. I can only hope and pray that there was no one hurt in the cargo and I am sorry to hear that the ocean was polluted more...

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That thing ploughed itself onto a reef in calm seas, now it is stuck and breaking up.

chriscraft254

Commander

Its not the the containers that sink that concern me, they may just add to the reef. Its the ones that don't sink that when runniing offshore, other boaters can't see until it is to late.:eek:

This captain is going down for sure, unexcusable.

sasto

Captain

Its not the the containers that sink that concern me, they may just add to the reef. Its the ones that don't sink that when runniing offshore, other boaters can't see until it is to late.:eek:

This captain is going down for sure, unexcusable.

Oh...how correct in my mind you are. I used to run at night often, and those things scare me. I would slow her down to 10kts so in case I ever did hit one, it probably wouldn't sink the boat. I've seen them during the day a couple times, but at night the radar can't pick them up.

Either way.....not a good thing.