14' Boat stability and performance

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am considering one of two boats. Boat boats are the same model just different set up. One has a rounded bottom of the transom and one is straight. I was wondering if one was more stable than the other or one preforms better.

Attachments

• 100_0018.JPG
    100_0018.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
  • l_stern2.JPG
    l_stern2.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 14' Boat stability and performance

OK, we are taking "hard chine" and "soft chine" (rounded).

The soft chine boat appears to have a very flat bottom. The hard chine boat hase a shallow v bottom.

It is pretty close, but I'm going to side with the hard chine.

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, we are taking "hard chine" and "soft chine" (rounded).

The soft chine boat appears to have a very flat bottom. The hard chine boat hase a shallow v bottom.

It is pretty close, but I'm going to side with the hard chine.

Thanks! Now I understand. Do you think that there would be a difference in stability between the two if they are layed out the same and are the same length?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Although one is soft chine and the other hard, both appear to essentially have about the same flattened bottom. Stability at rest will be a function of the width of the bottom. measure each boat and go with the one that is widest.

However, if you are not boating/fishing in calmer water, the freeboard height becomes an issue. In that case I might go with the one with the highest freeboard ( Height of gunwales above water )

From the limited photos shown and limited information on use, I would also call it close but would also go with the hard chine boat.

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds good everyone, thanks for the responses. Would I experience any speed difference between the two boats if they weighted the same and had the same motor.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The difference in performance between the two should be insignificant in a boat that size. The soft chine boat MAY give a bit better ride. The hard chine MAY give a bit better mileage. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Pick the one with the best layout for you.

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I kinda have in mind the one with the layout I want. I am just open to going with the other one if it will ride better

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't know any of the technical differences. So, I would go with the best amenities. I like the bimini top and fish finder. I have a small v-hull similar to the soft chine boat and do enjoy fishing out of it. With an old 25 hp Johnson it is almost too fast to handle comfortably if I don't have a good bit of additional weight. Big things I look for on somehthing like this is storage, a place for fishing rods, trolling motor, and SPACE! Too, a livewell is very nice to have...