Pin Stripe removal Decal Removal

aeilers

Cadet
Is there anything that will remove the pin stripes and decals from the side of the boat without leaving the hull dis colored and still showing the outline of where the stripes were?

removal.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pin Stripe removal Decal Removal

Not that I know of. The outline is due to fading of the exposed gelcoat. After removal you might be able to buff out the gel on your boat to make them less noticeable but not likely. How old is your boat and has it been protected from the elements well???

aeilers

Cadet

Yea thats what I was scared of, the hull is 1988.. Not sure of protection of elements, I just bought it as a fixer upper a few months ago

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

23 yr old boat is not gunna buff out the faded lines. You can always scrape em off and paint or pin stripe your own. You can repaint the entire hull for less that $100 bucks. Lots of ways to make Silk purse out of a Sows Ear!!!!:eek:

aeilers

Cadet

hmm paint the whole boat for less than 100$? That sounds like a good option. What paint you suggest. I was also thinking about painting the console.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Good old Rustoleum... With some modifications. Check out page #10 in my My Flamingo thread in my signature. The rest of the thread will show you my results.

aeilers

Cadet

thats a great start, you mention the Final sand with 180 grit... what grit do I use on the rest of the boat before that..
My next step would be to get the boat off the trailer on some sort of stand or something.
Could I also paint the console with this method? Does Rust O come in all kinds of colors?

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

There is a tool, and i found one today i am going to buy and I will post a video of how it works and how to use it. It cost 12 dollars here in WA state... Its a Pin Stripe Remover tool. It was used by another iboater SKIBUM1M he restored a Larson 150... He removed the decals and pin stripes with this tool.
I am going to post the link at the bottom of this reply. and what page its on so you can take a look for yourself. He said it didnt damage any paint..

here it is. Page 2
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=358025&page=2
post #45, and in Post #48 he says it didnt damage paint or anything so. I will post a link to my video when i get it up tonight.

-vlad

aeilers

Cadet

sounds like a awesome little tool.. please share video once you test it

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

The tool worked like a CHARM!
I bought it at NAPA auto parts.. But if you call around you can find one..
Its called
"Pinstripe Remover" (The tool is separate from the Pinstripe Remover Wheel.) I bought the remover wheel, ... 10 dollars :), he tried to sell the me the Pneumatic Tool for it, i told him sorry i dont have a compressor ... lol that shut him up fast

The wheel worked very well without the tool, i just put it in my drill and tightened the chock and it worked very smooth. I only removed one bayliner sticker (1974 boat mind you, so the sticker is 37 years old, it was not peeling off in one piece.) But i only removed one just to show you and the others on the forum how its done. I will be posting this video when i am done editing it in 30 minutes or so...

Please keep in mind, i am no professional speaker nor am i or my brother professional videographers. So the videos suck, i have a.d.d. so i blab and blab...
and also my video editing skills are no good... so sorry for the long pauses. Hope it is some what educational...
Removing the Bayliner logo took me all of 10 minutes if not less and it was about 3" high, by 20 or so inches long... when i started it was kinda of hard to get a feel of the wheel in the drill, but i picked up a method and it worked once i got momentum...
So give me about 30 minutes to upload the vids and pictures... enjoy

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

I started removing just one logo Here are a few pictures, and a link to the YOUTUBE video of me doing this process. once again i apologize but i am not a videographer nor a video editor. Thank you for watching.
105_stripping more logo.jpg 107_stripping more logo.jpg 108_stripping even more logo.jpg 109_stripping some more.jpg 110_logo paritally stripped.jpg

FYI this video cannot be found on Youtube, you have to have the link for it to view it. The link is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG81j09Ngfk

chriscraft254

Commander

Couldn't tell by your pics. Is this boat already painted or is it gel coat? If it is gel coatiing, wet sand the hull with 1000 grit wet sand paper. You may have to do the whole hull because it looks like it is oxydized pretty badly.

You can go with a coarser grit if needed,but start with the 1000. If you need to go coarser, start with 600 grit, then, 1000, then 1200, then 1500, then compound and wax. Keep it as wet as possible while sanding. Will look like a new hull if you take the time to do it right..

If you paint it, you will have to worry about scratches.

Mine is a 1990 hull, and after wet sanding, you can not see where the stripping was.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

i agree with chriscraft, aeilers i havent ever done something like that but using wet sanding and trying to smooth it out after words... I would stick with the other gentlemens idea and do the rustoleum after you sand it down and prep it.
When i will get to that stage in my process i will be using a DA sander (that is when im ready for sanding and i buy a 2 stage compressors (before christmas 2011 i hope)

aeilers

Cadet

That seems like a great tool , I will be picking one those up here in Texas plenty of Napa stores around.
It has gel coat on the hull, not sure exactly what method I will pick yet, seems like I have 2 options.
Kinda scared I might mess something up if I wet sand. Chriscraft you have any pictures of your work?

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Good luck. take lots of pictures and post them :)

chriscraft254

Commander

That seems like a great tool , I will be picking one those up here in Texas plenty of Napa stores around.
It has gel coat on the hull, not sure exactly what method I will pick yet, seems like I have 2 options.
Kinda scared I might mess something up if I wet sand. Chriscraft you have any pictures of your work?

I don't have any pics of the actual stripe removal, I did it with a heat gun and a razor. Don't be scared of wet sanding gel coating. If you want, try a small section on the stern or something. I bet you are pleasantly surprised.

Blue and red hulls are notoriously bad in the sun. They seem to oxidize quiker than other colored gel coatings for some reason.

Something I failed to mention, is you can try a hull restore compound before the wet sanding. Starbright, woody's, 3m. There are many off them.

If you follow the directions I gave you, you will be fine. Just remember Less is more! Start with the 1000 grit wet sand paper and see how it goes. The 600 grit will cut it faster but if its not needed, there is no reason to use it. Look at it this way, if it doesn't work, you would want to wet sand it before you painted anyway. You don't want to paint over oxidezed gel coating.

Gel coating is usually thicker than paint. The sides will be less thick than the bottom and stern usually. Just be careful around the edges where it may be a little thinner. You will see when you wet sand, you are taking off very little of the gel coating. You are basically just removing the oxidation.

When you are done with the wet sanding, your hull will already be shiny. The wax really is just used then for a protectant. From the looks of your hull it just looks like it wasn't maitained properly. If you keep the boat waxed and clean it will not oxidize.

Here is a pic of my 1990 hull after the fact. This was after wet sanding, compounding and waxing. I only used 1000 grit, nothing coarser because mine didn't need it. I will try and find some more pics.

127.jpg

247.jpg

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When wet sanding what are you using? a block or orbital sander or ?