Late 60's Pride Spitfire - Unsure whether to replace transom.

Jan Svade

Cadet
Bought this boat recently knowing it needed some work. The transom had bowed from true (3-4mm) enough to split the fibreglass cap and show movement at the back corners of the splashwell when lifting the bow from the trailer using the outboard. The lips of the hull and top cap had split on the left hand side and the top centre cap had an aluminium strip with 6 screws dropped vertically and lots of silicone.

The father in law was keen, so we cut the rear of the splashwell out with a view to chasing the rot. Unfortunately, aside from the rot around one of the lower bolt holes and some delamination in the top left cap, there is a quite solid, (although bowed) slab of timber under the glass. I am not looking forward to trying to separate the timber from the gelcap at the rear.

Not expecting more than a year or two from the boat and it is currently carrying a 45hp Chrysler. Is it worth either

A) removing the top half of the transom trying to maintain the gelcap,

B) cutting the back gel cap out with a tab and replacing the entire transom,

C) glassing it all back up and getting a summer out of it? If glassing back up I would probably put some penetrating resin on the delaminating section and clamp it up first. Stringers are solid and drain plug doesn't have any rot or softness. If I were to glass it back up, would a plate or brace across the top be recommended?

Thanks for your help.

12102011766.jpg12102011767.jpg12102011768.jpg12102011769.jpg12102011770.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Late 60's Pride Spitfire - Unsure whether to replace transom.

I don't really understand the question. You've already cut the cap out of the way, now start grinding the old wood out!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Take some core samples down low around the drain tube etc. If it's all dry and solid then, I'd fill the delamination with epoxy and button everything back up. If its wet and soggy down below then....

Take a Circular saw, set it to just shy of the depth of the wood and start making multiple passes all over the transom. Use a 2-3" wood chisel to chisel it off the outer skin of the stern. Use a 4 1/2" grinder with a backup pad and 40 grit paper to grind it down to smooth glass. In a couple of hours you'll be ready to make a pattern for the new transom. Heres a drawing of how to fabricate and install the new one. You can use heavy paper or cardboard and a school house compass to create a template of the transom and then transfer it to the new plywood. Auraco Plywood is very good or Good old Underlayment plywood works well too! Laminate two 3/4" pieces and you're good to go. This link also will show you how to do it.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=441929&page=7&highlight=parrisw The first 7 pages have all you'll need

Click the Pic to Enlarge

TransomBuild.jpg

Jan Svade

Cadet

The timber at the base of the transom is dark but not wet/damp. The end of the stringer is also dark but still very solid and not wet. I cannot push a sharp tool into the timber. I think that it is ok. Can the dark timber be due to the age or type of timber used in the late 60's?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, Based on what you are finding, then I would epoxy and clamp the delamination and button everything back up.