Carb problems

plmbr

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1989 Evinrude 9.9 works great but it doesnt' seem to top out at full throttle, I've had the problem for years since I bought it from the dealer. When I purchased from them, it was a used motor they had taken in on trade, it needed a carb. So they replaced it with a older style carb the all metal one.
I have a few questions
1 - Would the jet be too small for the motor as it's as newer motor, and would it help to put a bigger jet in.
[is the jet called an orifice in the parts book ]
I figured it would be less expensive this way instead of a newer carb

2 - I tried a proper carb for the 1989 model [ with bakelite top] off my 89 Johnson. It helped immensely, but I found that the newer one wouldn't idle unless I took off hood or took out the rubber plug to give it more air.
I found with the newer plastic top type you can't rev it up in neutral.

I also tried a 15hp older style carb but with the much larger tube into carb throttle area it bogs for a stretch then takes off like a jet and flies so to speak.

I'd appreciate any suggestion on my [ jet orifice question ] to see if I can get the 9.9 too top at full throttle, if not
I'd like to keep the 15 carb one on if could.
Just incase I bought a round exhaust tube] to try if needed.
4 -Do I have to put the short copper pipe that goes to the exhaust relief and if I have to change the long front one a well or can i use the existing one off the s-tube Thanks ...Plmbr