CA. DMV registration fees?

claws

Recruit
I'm trying to register my INTEX Seahawk II with my MINN KOTA 30# electric trolling motor. I can figure out the registration form (I think) but I'm confused by the fee schedule. The DMV site says that an original application submitted in and even numbered year is $29.00 but the same application submitted in an odd numbered year is $49.00! I must be missing something here. This seems ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as having to register a 9' inflatable in the first place! I'm trying to complete this registration process by mail so I can avoid the horror show of going to a DMV office or trying to contact a DMV employee by phone. Anyone here have any experience with this situation?

Thanks, Kim

claws

Recruit
Re: CA. DMV registration fees?

I may have answered my own question. After looking at about 20 ca dmv sites I found a sentence that states that vessels registered in odd numbered years are required to renew every two years instead of every year, which is the case for vessels registered in even numbered years. I suppose that this is the DMV's way of collecting two years worth of registration fees up front. California continues to suck!

Kim

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

So by registering for two years, there's a $10.00 savings, more or less. It sounds like you're not too happy living in California? There are decent options, but every state has drawbacks. Good luck with the new motor vessel.

Larry

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Either way you still have to buy a biennial registration sticker for another $20. But if you register in an even-numbered year it is only good for one year, since those come up every odd-numbered year. At the end of the day I think it all balances out.

$10/year to maintain registration of a boat in CA regardless of size or value. Best deal in the entire state.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

$20 fee for 2 years in CA. I kow because I just renewed. Only thing that is reasonably priced for now.

claws

Recruit

So by registering for two years, there's a $10.00 savings, more or less. It sounds like you're not too happy living in California? There are decent options, but every state has drawbacks. Good luck with the new motor vessel.

Larry

Thanks for the reply, Larry. I don't see the $10 savings since it seems like it will cost $20 per year for my vessel registration. That's $40 for 2 years plus $9 for the initial registration. I may be missing something here though, since the older I get the more difficulty I have making sense out of government regulations. California is a beautiful state. I've lived here most of my life. I do get tired of being taxed to death though. $49 is not a great deal of money but all of these fees add up. I figure I already pay enough in taxes to use the land and water resources of this state.

Kim

claws

Recruit

$20 fee for 2 years in CA. I kow because I just renewed. Only thing that is reasonably priced for now.

OK, I'm totally confused now. So when I pay $49 to register my boat I won't have to pay again for 2 years at which time I'll have to pay $20 for 2 more years. Is this correct? Sorry to be so obtuse, guys, but I swear I can't make any sense out of the DMV website info.

Kim

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

<<OK, I'm totally confused now.....>>

Now I'm confused, too. California, the State of Confusion.

Larry