Fiberglass Fish & Ski Leak

Jonesky

Cadet
My Dad has a 1991 17.5' Glassport fish & ski with a 1993 115 Mercury OB. The boat is rarely in the water and is stored in a garage. Over the course of 2-3 hours the boat will take on 4-5 gallons of water in the bilge. The water is coming from the bottom left motor mount bolt as evidenced by putting the boat on the trailer, leaving the bilge water in it and parking on an extreme grade. The water is visible coming from the exterior left lower motor mount bolt. I have not seen the leak from the interior of the boat since the gas tank is in the way.

I have removed the bolt and felt around the interior of the transom and it seems to be in good shape as it is not rotted or crumbling. I put some below the waterline sealant on the bolt when it was replaced. The boat continues to leak but at about half the rate as before. Any ideas as to what material to use to eliminate the leak? I was thinking about some type of expanding foam.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fiberglass Fish & Ski Leak

I think we're gunna need pics on this one. Motor mount bolts should not leak. If you use 3M 4200 and lots of it, it should stop the leak, IF that is the only issue. I suspect that it is not. Pics, with good lighting will help us to help you. Inside and out would be the best.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi....welcome to iboats

lets hope you caught this in time.

i would remove the motor....or just lift it.......then inspect all the holes....if one is gone.....there will be more, as one of four does not move by it self.

you can just 5200 them.....

another good way.....is make an epoxy paste with wood filler.......fill the bolt holes......let that cure....and just re drill the holes.

but to know for certain...the motor should come up.....or al least move the gas tank so you can see in the lower bilge area

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

My Dad has a 1991 17.5' Glassport fish & ski with a 1993 115 Mercury OB. The boat is rarely in the water and is stored in a garage. Over the course of 2-3 hours the boat will take on 4-5 gallons of water in the bilge. The water is coming from the bottom left motor mount bolt as evidenced by putting the boat on the trailer, leaving the bilge water in it and parking on an extreme grade. The water is visible coming from the exterior left lower motor mount bolt. I have not seen the leak from the interior of the boat since the gas tank is in the way.

I have removed the bolt and felt around the interior of the transom and it seems to be in good shape as it is not rotted or crumbling. I put some below the waterline sealant on the bolt when it was replaced. The boat continues to leak but at about half the rate as before. Any ideas as to what material to use to eliminate the leak? I was thinking about some type of expanding foam.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I am utterly confused ..

You have water coming from a hardly in the water boat .. you have 4-5 gals of water coming from the motor mounts ..and now your looking at the transom for leaks ..

Your Stringers are Trashed IMO .. Delaminated ..

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This is an Outboard and he is talking about the Lower Mounting bolts on the Transom that are leaking from the inside out. I don't see the Stringers Trashed statement???

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yeah....the lower mount holes are in the water.....BUT....something caused the motor to oblong that hole. an over sized hole is the same as running with the drain plug out

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

This is an Outboard and he is talking about the Lower Mounting bolts on the Transom that are leaking from the inside out. I don't see the Stringers Trashed statement???

My bad.

I was reading that he could not see water in the bilge but he was leaking out a few gallons when pulled.

YD.