Leaks under pressure- Aluminum Fishing Boat

Sdad

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1989 Basstracker Pro 17. I get water in the bilge and have to use it about 4 times when out on a 7 hr fishing trip. I cannot find the leak. I have filled it with water and marked and fixed leaks. After fixing about 4 leaking rivets and one hairline crack, when I fill it with water I cannot find anymore leaks. But when out on the water I still get water in bilge????? It also seems as if I take on more water when I have driven fast rather than just sitting, trolling, fishing. So I am assuming I am getting a leak under pressure. Problem is how do you find these? I am going to take out the flooring this winter, but how would one test rivets etc that only leak under presssure??? Or do i just plan on fixing them all, gluvit???

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Leaks under pressure- Aluminum Fishing Boat

If you're going to have the deck out, Gluvit it certainly a good idea. You also want to try to identify and rebuck any loose rivets you find but it sounds like you've already done that. Have you checked the plumbing from any livewells?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Have you checked your livewell system for leaks? Sometimes the livwell will have a leak somewhere in the system and it'll make you think you have a leak in your hull.

Sdad

Seaman Apprentice

I will check the livewell. But I would still be confused as to why it seems to take on more water after driving at high speeds. It's like I can fish and sit still for a long time without taking on too much water, but after driving around for a while it seems if the bildge gets full fast.....after I stop of course....I know all the water rushes to the back when moving

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Does the livewell have a drain out of the hull? If so, maybe a cracked hose from the LW to the drain is letting water into the bilge while underway? to check, plug the hole and fill the LW on the trailer and see if it drains and the bilge gets wet.

mr 88

Commander

I had a Smoker Craft that did the same thing.No leaking through livewell etc.Filled with water like you.....held it like a champ,put it in the water and the bilge was cycling quite often.I attributed it to your same conclusion,pressure.All the rivets checked out, as noted Gluvit on all rivets is your answer.....The only way you could check each rivet would be to use a vacuum gauge/tester with a suction cup on the end of the hose and pump it up.

npauls

Seaman Apprentice

Is your plug tight enough?

I have heard that while running the friction from the water on the plug can pull it away enough to leak. Maybe try a new plug and make sure its really tight. I have also heard quite a bit about livewell systems leaking.