Fatal Mistake? (Merc 5.7 AlphaOne)

Jeff Quigley

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Firstly, sorry for posting in the wrong forum before. <br /><br />Anyone ever have this happen to them?<br /><br />Just got back in from a quick ride on the lake. A new lake where we've docked our 21 footer for the season. It's a sandy/muddy bottom and we got a little to shallow. Started to notice the water/wake getting real muddy. Brought up the stern drive right away and managed to get into deeper water. Whew... so I thought.<br /><br />Broght the boat up to speed and right away noticed the temps going into the red. I was only a few moments from the marina so I headed in. Just before the slip, the temps went up and the oil pressure dropped. Then she quit. <br /><br />I'm guessing I the water intake filled up with silt/mud/crap or whatever and killed the water pump thus overheating the engine. There was a oil in the bilge but I could find no leaks around the oil pan or heads. <br /><br />I have to call in the mechanics at the marina in the morning, but I was curious if anyone else had this happen and - (clenching teeth) - what the potential damage and costs will be. Fix or sink her in the narrows?<br /><br />Jeff

JRRoadster

Cadet
Re: Fatal Mistake? (Merc 5.7 AlphaOne)

Sounds like you blew yer motor... Hope that puppy is insured :) I am sure that is exacly what happened though. Your impeller got clogged and which prevented water from cooling the motor. It would have been a wise idea just get towed in rather then trolling in. Sorry for the loss man

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's not uncommon to get mud in the cooling system, sand, or plastic bags over the intake and it causes an overheat. What is uncommon is to knowingly keep going after it is that hot and run it till it kills the engine.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep what DonS says. hope you did no serious damage. but some tech may be getting a new pair o shoes :) :) .

Jeff Quigley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:( <br /><br />Those aren't the answers I wanted to hear - but they are what I expected.<br /><br />Looking back at what I should have done is making me bang my head on the table. I could throw a rock to my slip when I noticed the temps, I was that close! <br /><br />An auto mechanic friend of mine suggested I go back in the morning and see if it will turn over once or twice - just a few burps to see if everything still moves - but not to fire it up.<br /><br />Ball park costs on best/worst case scenarios? Anyone?<br /><br />Can't sleep... might as well let you guys beat me up for stupidity! :(

Dunaruna

Admiral

Best case senario - couple of head gaskets and a raw water impeller.<br /><br />Worsed - crate engine.<br /><br />The oil in the bilge is a worry :( <br /><br />Aldo

Jeff Quigley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Aldo,<br /><br />This just turns my stomach. My wife and I worked so hard to clean and maintain our boat which we've had for the last 4 years. This was only our second outing this season on this lake after switching marinas. Such a rookie mistake as well. Hind sight is always 20-20. Now I'm hoping she isn't spending the season on the trailer in the service yard rather than in her slip.<br /><br />Fingers crossed that the Merc isn't one big metal piniata.<br /><br />Jeff

Dunaruna

Admiral

I've done it myself and I'd lay an even bet that others here have also. Next time you'll know to stop and evaluate the situation.<br /><br />S*it happens. Don't be so hard on yourself - it could have been a lot worse.<br /><br />Aldo

TilliamWe

Banned

Hope that puppy is insured
Umm he's in trouble there because...<br /><br />
It's not uncommon to get mud in the cooling system, sand, or plastic bags over the intake and it causes an overheat. What is uncommon is to knowingly keep going after it is that hot and run it till it kills the engine.
That is normal operating conditions for that area. And then he failed to "mitigate his damages". This is not going to be a good "claim". If you even try to put in a claim at all. Sorry.<br /><br />Because you have a small block chevy V-8 in your boat, maybe it's ok. They can handle some heat. But the loss of oil pressure & oil in the bilge says that you did some catastrophic damage. I hope I am wrong. Best of Luck

Watercanuck

Seaman Apprentice

Hey JeffQ,<br /><br />What lake are you on? I once did the same thing with an outboard on my old boat. Broke the flywheel and burnt out several other parts. Called my insurance company and the adjuster said they wouldnt cover it... I couldn't imagine if it was my 3.8L V6 OMC in my present boat how much it would cost...<br /><br />I'm in Richmond Hill and boat on Simcoe with my 20' Tempest Cuddy. If you need a marine mechanic talk to Josh at Keswick Marine. The guys at KM are tops man! A little more costly than the smaller marinas but well worth the extra dollar. They do everything they can to save you money on parts etc.<br /><br />Email me sometime if you want to go out on the lake together! jmarshe@psacrogers.com<br /><br />Cheers!<br /><br />John

Jeff Quigley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the contacts John. I was just up in Keswick trying to check out a Bayliner Avanti 2955 but ran out of time before my 2 kids went loopy from being seated in a van for a few hours. The lake I'm on is Scugog... But that might change as I just find it's way to shallow. FYI. Lake Scugog used to be field before the construction of a dam flooded it. Hence the muddy bottom. I'm thinking of relocating to Lake Simcoe.<br /><br />Now back to the engine. Just got a call from the marina. How I dodged this bullet I don't know. No major engine damage. Aldo was right... needs a new impellor and a few new seals. Lesson learned getlemen!

randyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How would someone go about checking to see if the headgaskets are blown? Compression test? Checking oil for water?<br /><br />If its checking oil for water: How can you test this if an oil change has been done on the boat and hasnt since been taken out on the water?<br /><br />The reason I ask is that Im looking at purchasing a boat and want to make sure things are in order with the boat and that something similar to this doesnt happen!

Jeff Quigley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Randy,<br /><br />This is a very good question, but it's probably going to be best addressed if you start your own thread. <br /><br />Jeff

TilliamWe

Banned

Jeff, so that was the <br />"Whew!" I heard from up north today??

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Jeff...glad to hear your problems aren't as serious as you thought. I'm guessing you might be down at Goreski's on Scugog? It is basically a big shallow pond. I live in Keswick and John is right about Keswick Marine...it's pretty good there. We used to be there but moved the boat up to Orillia several years ago. The owner of Keswick Marine John Richardson is my neighbour across the street, excellent guy!

DHPMARINE

Captain

Sounds like your motor got hot,the oil pressure dropped,and the electric fuel pump shut off.It's made to do this.<br /><br />Glad you don't have serious damage.<br /><br />DHP

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Were did the oil in the bilge come from? Old or new?

lhall8

Cadet

Glad your boat is not seriously damaged. For future reference is there anyway to flush silt from the cooling system while on the water or must the boat be towed.

Jeff Quigley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boating Bob - you are correct. I'm at Goreski's. First year on the Scugog. Switched from Port Whitby as Goreski's has more things for the kids (7 and 3). I also found Lake Ontario was just a little too big for a 21 footer. Ran into some nasty swells last year on a perfectly calm day.<br /><br />Cyclops2 - I'm guessing it was old but I'm going to be gentle with her for the first little while and keep a hawk's eye on the guages. I can see how I would miss old oil as it flows to the rear of bilge. I only noticed when I stuck my head down.<br /><br />Tilliam - Yes, that was a HUGE WHEW you heard from north of the border.

KaGee

Admiral

The oils could be from a previous sloopy oil change. Get it sopped up so you can tell wheter or not you have a leak.