Foamy surf bad for beginner wakesurfer?

mancho

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We test rode in a 1998 cent that had some aftermarket sacs. when we rode in it, the wake produced was good enough for us newbies, but a bit foamy on top, is this a worry? The many videos ive studied, most had a bit cleaner surf cap before the wake turned to foam.

This boat has a wake plate, w thumbscrews, but would that make any difference?

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Foamy surf bad for beginner wakesurfer?

You want to weight the side with the foam on it a little more to get rid of the foam. It catches the edge of the board and your foot and will throw you off balance a little. Usually if you shorten the rope you will come forward of the froth also. A third thing to try is to put some of the weight more forward in the boat. That makes the wake a little less steep and so it should get less break on top.

mancho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm, check out this. I took pics of the wake... they all seem foamy, but the driver wasn't a big wakesurfer:

http://web.me.com/mark_armstrong/Site/Centurian.html#40

http://web.me.com/mark_armstrong/Site/Centurian.html#41

http://web.me.com/mark_armstrong/Site/Centurian.html#42

There was one point when we were going that the wake had a nice curve to it, but it was about 20 feet back from the back of the boat, so wasn't sure if that was too far back.

thoughts?

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

looks to me that the boat wasnt set up rite to produce the wake surfing wave properly, if he wasnt into surfing he may not have had the experiance to make the wave right it takes alot of practice and toying with your ballest and speed to get the perfact wave and every boat has its differant corks.

If you look at the post "cool wakeboard video" i put up and skip to the last min of video there is wakesurfing and that wave was produced with almost all the ballest on the back right side of the boat and i believe about 11mph. It was produced behind the red and white 2009 Centurian shown in the begining of the video. The first few clips show the wake kind of foamy but that is because there are three surfers on it, when just two are surfing it you can see its super clean and big.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mancho, in your three photos it really looks like you don't have near enough list in the hull. Don't fill any weight on the side you are not surfing on. You really want the boat leaning to the surf side. Also check your speed. It should be between 9.5 and 12 on a GPS.
The trim plate is really not meant to be adjusted. You could try screwing it up some but it will have more effect at high speed than at surf speeds. If it's too far up your starts will take longer and you run the risk of porpoising at high speeds. (That may not happen)
If the wake had a nice curl 20' back that could be great but it probably is just that the boat was travelling too fast.

Last edited:

mancho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So perhaps the weighting in the boat just needs some tweeking? I agree that we were going faster when i saw that good curl.

Did anyone see the other pics in the gallery?